1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

NQT advice

Discussion in 'New teachers' started by flower16, Apr 11, 2011.

1. hi im a NQT and not had any luck with finding myself a job, iv tried supply teaching but not for me and i would like to have a long term job. i am struggling to find ways of using my teaching qualification for other jobs and what i should do whilst i do get a job. any advice appreciated

2. Keep a close eye on the jobs market from now on. The final resignation date for those wishing to leave their current school and start a new one in September is the end of May - so NQT jobs will be coming out more and more.
    Contact all the supply agencies and specifically state that you are interested in long term supply. Look on all the LA websites where you would want to work as often jobs are advertised there before they are in the TES. Also look in the local press as some teaching jobs - especially long term supply are advertised there as it is cheaper.
    You could also think about work as a HLTA or cover supervisor which does not give you induction but does not count as supply teaching.
    Widen your net perhaps and look at education type jobs in organisations such as musuems, libraries etc.
    James

3. welshwizard

welshwizard Established commenter Forum guide

The prospects.ac.uk website has useful information on other careers working with children. You can also contact your university careers service to see if they offer support and advice for their graduates- often they can refer to a local careers service provider.
    Its important you discuss all the impliications and suggestions thoroughly

4. thanks