1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

NQT advice year 10 & 11

Discussion in 'Secondary' started by elli_watts2, Aug 29, 2019.

1. elli_watts2

elli_watts2 New commenter

Hello,

I am starting my NQT year and wanted some advice of tried and tested introduction/ ice breaker activities for my year 10 & 11 pupils.

The groups all know one another, it’s me they have never met so want to break the ice and get the year off to a good start.

I am aware my year 10 group in particular are very challenging, large proportion of boys that have challenging behaviours, whereas my year 11 need a little nurture and support after having inconsistent teaching due to supply / teacher absence.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

2. meggyd

meggyd Senior commenter

I would get down to work straight away. No messing around.

3. frustum

frustum Star commenter

I'd go for straight down to work too, and that's having taken over three KS4 groups at Christmas. What was particularly helpful in one school, and might be useful with your year 11s, was that the HoD came in at the start of the first lesson and introduced me. She said that it wasn't ideal having a change of teacher at this point, but that they were lucky to have a well-qualified and experienced teacher taking over, and that she trusted them to help me learn my way around the school systems. Experienced might not apply so much in your case (hopefully well-qualified does), but if they've had a bad run, it might be well worth your year 11s being told from above that things are different now, and that the school has full faith in you. Something along the lines of "I've been through your year 10 exam answers, so I know exactly what you've covered, and which things might need a bit of revision during the year" might also reassure them that you know all about them and what they will need.

4. strawbs

strawbs Established commenter

I echo what @frustum says about using your HoD to reinforce to them that you are "the fresh start" and she has full confidence in you. I wouldn't start by telling them you are an NQT (I remember way back when I was saying "oh last year I worked at..." and quoted my placement school) and always give that advice now!
    I agree with @meggyd that you need to start a routine of work/behaviour from the word go.
    I would certainly make learning names a priority, and with the year 11 if they need a bit of TLC then it's always nice to get to know them a little bit (not in any cheesy "being a friend" way) but things like finding out what other subjects they are studying, what do they want to do at college, etc

5. meggyd

meggyd Senior commenter

Routine routine routine. You need to be really clear on what you are doing each week. No idea what your subject is but establish hw days, test day- say in Mfl vocab every Friday, maybe short test question in class every other Tues, whatever. Set up an area for them on intranet and upload stuff every week. Powerpoints from lessons, hw tasks whatever. Do it as you go along. Look at the timetable now and see what is feasible. So if you have them Mon Tues Fri it makes sense for long hw to be set Mon for Fri or Fri for Mon and plan for this. Also go back to the data from year 10 , put marks in your markbook/spreadsheet and analyse what their particular weaknesses are. Set them very clear small targets. Ie You got 25/40 for this question, next time try to get 28 which puts you in next grade boundary for this type of question. Good luck.

SundaeTrifle, tb9605 and strawbs like this.
  6. Jonntyboy

Jonntyboy Occasional commenter

It will take some time for them to trust you. As regards the lads, be very straight with them, but give them some rope too - boys cannot help behaving like boys and don't expect perfection. But let them clearly know where the boundaries are, as they will push.. and push!
    And if you have a good sense of humour, make sure you show it. A grin and a headshake is often the best way to manage a situation!

7. tb9605

tb9605 Occasional commenter

Lots of good advice up there (especially about routines).... however, whatever you do, don't worry about getting them to like you. That really isn't important. Every teaching job I've ever started (from LSA up to HOD via TEFL), the boss has always said to me "don't smile 'til Christmas." I've always ignored them, and always - without fail - regretted doing so. You'd think I'd learn...

Another good tip - get a SIMS print out of photos and names and learn them. Do a seating plan. If you can welcome the students at the door by name on your first day, they'll a) feel valued and b) think you're either a magician or seriously dedicated to your job.

Good luck!

8. meggyd

meggyd Senior commenter

Yes seating plan. And remember. You are their teacher not their friend. It is nice if they like you but the best teachers are respected rather than liked. It is a business arrangement not a social one. Be friendly but avoid giving personal details or rising to personal comments.

9. Robfreeman

Robfreeman Occasional commenter

I usually read the riot act at the start so they know my expectations and what I want from them. Stick them in a seating plan to mark my territory then remind them that my lessons are a bit like the hunger games may the odds forever be in their favour.

Then it's straight into work so they can see the consistent and we'll planned look I wish to maintain. Also with yr11 may seem like you have loads of time you won't after Christmas when those on a higher pay scale start worrying you will lose yr 11 left right and centre.

The best solution for behaviour is to be there and be consistent welcome them into the room every lesson pick on poor behaviour consistently and fairly. Talk to the students and get to know their motivations, they may not like you but will respect he efforts they see.

10. install

install Star commenter

1 Baseline Test, then mini tests
    2 Seating plan based on results each time
    3 Structured lessons
    4 Regular routines
    5 Easy hmk to begin with to see who is poorly organised
    6 Praise postcards home
    7 Short reprimands
    8 Regular marking leading to Student feedback
    9 Short term and Long term targets made clear
    10 Fair, firm, consistent always with positive vibe

Good luck!

11. peter12171

peter12171 Star commenter

Agree with most of the above. In particular:

1. Don’t worry about them liking you. We are there to teach, not to be liked. Obviously being liked is an advantage and will make the job easier, but it’s not what we’re there for.

2. Seating plan. Have this in place before the first lesson, and don’t change it because X can’t sit with Y. It is your room, and you decide who sits where (you can mentally note the requests and take them into account when you review the seating plan, but not as an immediate response).

12. gemmamarie08

gemmamarie08 New commenter

I can only add to the sound advice given already.

I would state your expectations at the start of lesson one and then get straight down to work. If a group is known for being particularly challenging I wouldn't start with ice breaker activities.

Introduce yourself 'I'm Mr/Miss X' and then get into some work.

My Y11 class this year is one I am picking up and I know there are a few potential characters. I will be reiterating homework routines/consequences and some very brief expectations of mine (total of about ten mins for hwk and expectations) then straight into a skills lesson in standard form.

I will embed my routines as I go.

Very best of luck!

install likes this.
  13. leverarch1970

leverarch1970 New commenter

Just as most say above - Come in hard and fast you can always lighten up later on - but you can't do it the other way around. That was advice given to me in 2002 and is what I give to all new staff.

As an aside I always remember some student saying "Mr so and so always let us" moan moan to which another student (God love them) replied "yes but he left us and he's not here" .

Seating plan (revise and change as necessary termly) and plan your lesson to engage...best wishes

14. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

That sounds helpful as long as the HOD doesn't end up undermining the idea of supply teachers. I've gone into so many schools for short and long term supply placements and dreaded the HOD accompanying me to classes. Invariably they'd say something along the lines of, "It's not ideal that your regular teacher is unavailable and you've had to have supply teachers, but bear with us and Mrs jubilee will do her best to teach you."