1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

NQT Advice sought

Discussion in 'New teachers' started by benrothwell, Apr 8, 2011.

1. Hi, posting on behalf of a friend who doesnt have access to TES.

She is working at a challenging school, Satisfactory in its last ofsted. Teaching an extremely challenging year group (Year 1).

First NQT report flagged as cause for concern, areas highlighted that some students are not achieving. Second NQT report given the day before Easter - again cause for concern, unlikely to pass... standards 29,30 given as the primary reasons for failure. This based upon observations and not an holistic approach, where the results of the children have been in line with expectations.

She has been told that in the area she is in the county has mandated that any teacher not achieving "Good" by Ofsted standards cannot be given a job in a maintained school. Given the impression that even if she passes NQT she will be sacked because she would only be a satisfactory teacher.

Obviously waiting on consultation with the union but it seems that the headteacher is acting in a very unfair manner here. The advice given that county will sack satisfactory teachers seems to be borne out of rumour and gossip - it isnt something I have heard of before?

My own perspective, as a concerned friend, is that she is likely to be failed - for some reason the head doesn't want her there. This would be the 2nd NQT in a row who this has happened to, the last one forced out.

What would peoples advice be? I have suggested that as she is extremely stressed and depressed by this situation she hands in her notice.

2. Sorry for the formatting, seems Chrome doesn't put line spaces in...

3. She should also contact her NQT person at County. More especially in view of he fact this is the second NQT to be experiencing problems.
    COntacting the Union for an agreed exit might also be a good idea. Your friend needs to write a diary of events as soon as possible and get that to the Union and start talking to them.
    Generally the idea of getting out of the school seems a good one. Another school may be a much better experience.

Best of luck.

4. Where there is a report that the NQT is not making satisfactory progress there should be independent reviews of this and a plan of action in place with targets and success criteria. If necessary ther should be support and/or extra training. The use of OFSTED criteria for GOOD for assessing a trainee on induction is not appropriate - that would be like saying that in order to pass the driving test you must be an advanced driver. The two things are separate.
    To meet the induction standards assessment should be based on a holistic view of the teacher's work not just classroom observations. Some standards cannot be 'observed'.
    You friend should contact their union for specific help and advice.
    I have heard rumours of LAs stating that good is the minimum and anybody not Good would be sacked, but quite frankly that would be silly beyond belief and anyone who is deemed to be meeting the standards and at least satisfactory who was 'sacked' would have a great case for an industrial tribunal.
    NQTs must do their part during induction do so too must schools. If the school only wants 'Good' teachers then they should only hire those who are assessed as good and not take on NQTs, but of course that would be more costly...
    James

5. Apologies for partially hijacking this thread, but I just wanted to say thank you for writing this. I'm thoroughly fed up with not being able to tick all the boxes expected in order to be labelled good. I once thought I was a good teacher but a year of being classed satisfactory has really got to me. If you ask any of the pupils I teach, they would tell you how engaged they are in my lessons and how they look forward to them, and how much progress they have made. Unfortunately that's not good enough unless I can prove that they've all made good progress during the half lesson that I'm observed. Hats off to those of you who can, but it looks like I'm going to be satisfactory for life.

6. anonymousarty

anonymousarty New commenter

Showing progress is as simple as having mini pleneries throughout your lesson rather than just at the end. You can use a confidence line, red and green cards, smilie face corners or even thumbs up - as long as you don't just take their word for it and you get the "greens" to explain to the "reds" what is what you are in "Good" territory. Don't wait til then end - you can have one at every task change.

7. Hi Anonymousarty
    Can you explain what the difference is between the pupils showing a green or red card and them just saying they understand? What you seem to be saying is if I ask them if they understand by putting their hands up and I consequently "take their word" for it then this does not show progress but if I ask them the same question and they respond by holding up a green card it does show progress?
    Sorry to be pedantic, but I'm an NQT too and I have my finall assessment coming up and I really need to know this kind of thing.
    Thanks

8. anonymousarty

anonymousarty New commenter

If student a holds up a green card, or stands in the Smile corner, child B holds up amber or stands in the "ummm" corner and child c holds up the red card or stands in the "nope, not got that at all" corner, I would get child b to tell me what they think "it" is...and ask child A if that is right. Child c would then have listened to an answer, listened to it being critiqued and then had instant feedback from me on whether that is right, wrong or half way there.
    This works on many levels - one, the kids don't just take a chance on you not asking them if they know they will have to justify their response, you are ticking the students as teachers box (this shows that you are facilitating learning rather than "just" teaching, and the less able students get to see they are rarely the only ones who don't understand. By the end of the lesson, you should be able to pick a "red" student and get them to talk you through the lesson - showing progress.
    Something else I do is I reward the most interesting wrong answer - to try and build a "not afraid to try" attitude in the classroom.
    I hope this helps, I have just completed my second term, (1st in this school) in a place that has just come out of special measures. I am surrounded by good and outstanding teachers so best practice is all around! It has been an incredibly steep learning curve, but a very rewarding one (I got an outstanding for teaching from Ofsted!).