1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

NQT advice needed

Discussion in 'NQTs and new teachers' started by lisac1977, Sep 13, 2017.

1. lisac1977

lisac1977 New commenter

Hi
    I qualified in 2010. BEd Primary Art 2:1
    I did supply for a bit whilst applying for teaching jobs. The supply wasn't regular so I ended up working in retail for 2 years to pay the bills and feed my children. In 2013 I got back into the classroom. I taught forest schools and French for the whole of ks2 in 2015 and was then overlooked when vacancies arose as I didn't have enough experience. I left and joined another school. An outstanding school. I started as a TA. This is the beginning of my second year as HLTA. Again I've gone above and beyond, been praised and thanked time and time again for my effort and support. I've had outstanding observations by the deputy head (as an HLTA). I took 20 year 5 children for half a term while their class teacher focused on SATS with her year 6s with nothing but praise (the head even paid me 10 hours overtime!) I ask for opportunities to be observed as a teacher but nothing ever happens. The head has said if she had a job she would give me one but it has never happened.
    I just don't know what more I can do. What am I doing wrong? I'm starting to feel like I should just give up.
    Should I retrain? Can I retrain? How would I retrain?
    Help ☹️

2. Pomza

Pomza Star commenter

1. Get on your LA's teaching jobs site.
    2. Apply for a bunch of jobs you like the look of.
    3. Do a few interviews, build your confidence and experience of the process.
    4. Get offered and job and accept! :)

nrmcp and lisac1977 like this.
  3. tsarina

tsarina Occasional commenter

I'm not very knowledgeable about primary, but surely if you are doing the job of a teacher for the salary of a HLTA then no headteacher (in these tight economic times) will start suddenly paying you teacher wages. My advice would be to apply for jobs elsewhere as a teacher and play down how much you did as a TA/HLTA so that interviewers think of you as a teacher foremost and not someone they can hire as a HLTA to do the job of a teacher without the pay.

lisac1977 likes this.
  4. welshwizard

welshwizard Established commenter Forum guide

Please see my response to your other posting in this forum

5. lisac1977

lisac1977 New commenter

Thank you, I think that is the problem I have created for myself☹️

6. newromantic

newromantic Occasional commenter

Hi lisac1977 you sound like a great member of staff - I'm not surprised the Head wants to keep you and pay you as a TA! Have you spoken to the Head about your future employment? Perhaps you could make an appointment (so it's official) and explain your need for a teaching post and that you may have to leave if nothing comes up in your current school.... ask for his/ her help in moving forward. You'll soon see if they want to keep you by their response then you can apply for vacant posts in other schools. Good luck. Hope you get success.

Pomz, lisac1977 and pepper5 like this.
  7. nrmcp

nrmcp New commenter

How did you get on lisac1977? Did you apply for other teaching jobs?

8. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

I think that you should think about applying for teaching jobs overseas.