1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

NQT - Advice needed!!

Discussion in 'New teachers' started by Vick_y, Mar 31, 2012.

1. I am an NQT who has been working in a rough school since January. I was brought in on Supply to take over a maternity cover and teach lessons if and when people in my subject area were off. However I have now been told I will not be getting a contract as the school is trying to save money and they only want me there until June. I was working alongside the lady who is pregnant and building relationship with the students, so when she left it would be a smooth takeover.It's not the teaching that bothers me I have built up great relationships with the students and I'm looking forward to teaching them fully after Easter. My main problem is that for months I have been going into 'Isolation' with the teacher who is pregnant and when she's been off I have covered the room on my own. However there was an incident just recently in this room, where a teacher got assaulted. It was horrible to see. After Easter I will be in this room on my own and that one hour in there with students who cannot behave anywhere else in the school feels like a lifetime. I actually dread going in there. I am quite a short teacher and half of these students tower over me. If i'm completely honest I do not see the point in this room at all what so ever. Students who have been put in there because they will not listen to a word the teachers say..all being put in one room with one teacher. Does not make sense. It's like being thrown to the Lions. Anyway I expressed my concerns about being put in this room to my head of department and I was told I should not have been in there anyway and was told it would be sorted. I am a new teacher and I feel the school is forgetting this. However yesterday a new rota came out for that same room and my name was on it three times. I went and spoke to my head of department, only to be told they have no other staff to cover this room so I have to do it. On top of my teaching I have to do this three times a week! Once is bad enough but three times. I feel like I am being used and don't really appreciate that I have to do it. Feel it is very unfair and it's got me worried to the point where I am considering not going back after Easter, seen as I don't have a contract. What does everyone else think? Am I over reacting? I do feel physically sick every time I have to go into that room. Opinions and advice very much needed here please.

2. I am an NQT who has been working in a rough school since January. I was brought in on Supply to take over a maternity cover and teach lessons if and when people in my subject area were off. However I have now been told I will not be getting a contract as the school is trying to save money and they only want me there until June. I was working alongside the lady who is pregnant and building relationship with the students, so when she left it would be a smooth takeover.It's not the teaching that bothers me I have built up great relationships with the students and I'm looking forward to teaching them fully after Easter. My main problem is that for months I have been going into 'Isolation' with the teacher who is pregnant and when she's been off I have covered the room on my own. However there was an incident just recently in this room, where a teacher got assaulted. It was horrible to see. After Easter I will be in this room on my own and that one hour in there with students who cannot behave anywhere else in the school feels like a lifetime. I actually dread going in there. I am quite a short teacher and half of these students tower over me. If i'm completely honest I do not see the point in this room at all what so ever. Students who have been put in there because they will not listen to a word the teachers say..all being put in one room with one teacher. Does not make sense. It's like being thrown to the Lions. Anyway I expressed my concerns about being put in this room to my head of department and I was told I should not have been in there anyway and was told it would be sorted. I am a new teacher and I feel the school is forgetting this. However yesterday a new rota came out for that same room and my name was on it three times. I went and spoke to my head of department, only to be told they have no other staff to cover this room so I have to do it. On top of my teaching I have to do this three times a week! Once is bad enough but three times. I feel like I am being used and don't really appreciate that I have to do it. Feel it is very unfair and it's got me worried to the point where I am considering not going back after Easter, seen as I don't have a contract. What does everyone else think? Am I over reacting? I do feel physically sick every time I have to go into that room. Opinions and advice very much needed here please.

3. Follow the advice from The Sage. I'd also suggest having a chat with the Regional Rep from your Union.
    Very best of luck.