1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

NQT Advice needed

Discussion in 'New teachers' started by khormbrey, Mar 14, 2011.

1. I gained my PDE qualification in June 2010, to enable me to teach Hair and Make-up at FE colleges. I then gave birth to my son in September 2010 (Was pregnant whilst studying), so have since been at home looking after him.... By the time I start searching for teaching work I will have already used a year of my 5 years that you get to gain the QTS... Do they allow for exceptions such as time off for ante natal care?
    I will be actively seeking work as a Make-up lecturer in Aug/sept 2011, however as these jobs are few and far between, I will probably have to continue to freelance as a makeup artist in the meantime. Do the 5 years start from when you were awarded the qualification? so in my case - 5 years from June 2010 - so I would need to have done my 1 years teaching by June 2015?
    I'm a bit confused by it all so any help and advice would be great, many thanks....

2. GloriaSunshine

GloriaSunshine New commenter

The five year rule went a while back. I don't know about PDE and FE, but in schools, you can now do your NQT year at any time although it would probably be more difficult after a couple of years because you won't have recent teaching experience.

3. welshwizard

welshwizard Established commenter Forum guide

At the moment the main route for gaining QTS is through the GTP. The 5 year rule allows instructors to teach in maintained schools for this period as an unqualified teacher. The availability of GTP depends largely on the area you are in and the priority tends to go to shortage subject areas such as Maths and Science.The Wolf report recommended the scrapping of the division between post compulsory and QTS but the Gove has yet to accept that recommendation

4. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

The 5 year rule that was abolished in 2007 related to how long those who already have QTShad to complete Induction once they had started Induction.
    The OP doesn't yet have QTS.
    Welshwizard's information would seem to suggest that the OP's 5 year period for getting QTS 'on the job' will count down from when they start teaching using their current qualification. I don't know whether they'd have to be teaching in a school, though, for that transition to apply.