1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

NQT advice and help!!!

Discussion in 'New teachers' started by lilcrissyr, Dec 9, 2011.

1. I recently graduated as an NQT. I was so happy that I finally got my dream career and I have always wanted to teach. I struggled to find a job when I was doing my PGCE and thought that supply work may be a great option for me. This was where I would get some more experience. However, supply has gone slowly and they wanted one reference to be from the schools that I had done my placements in. This took a very long time to get and when I finally did get the reference supply did not come.
    I am constantly checking for positions and job opportunities. Many schools are looking for experienced teachers. One head teacher said that I did not posses skill, experience and reference, something that I think many NQTs would lack on as their first position. I have worked with children for a few years. I got help from many services and friends to help with personal statements and application forms and how I can make them better. I am trying so hard to sell myself and I know that when a job does come along, I will give 110% to it.
    I do not know what else I can do to get myself across and sell myself as a teacher. Jobs are hard to find and I am worried, that with all the rejection I have had, I am not worthy or maybe I am not a good teacher. I have been doubting myself for a while. If there is any advice that you can give me, I would be greatful.

2. GloriaSunshine

GloriaSunshine New commenter

You can only apply for every job that comes along and ensure you put in the best application that you can. I think the one thing that can make a difference is widening your job search. The more you restrict it, the less likely it is that a job will fit. If you are only searching a small geographical region or a subject that has a limited number of lessons on a school timetable, it would be worth looking at how you can change this by being willing to move to somewhere you'd rather not or gain extra skills that would enable you to teach another subject at a lower level. Our History NQT, for example, had to move hundreds of miles and now has to teach some KS3 Geography and Drama. Not ideal but she was desperate to get her NQT year done.

3. It really is a case of keeping on at the applications, though do visit the job seekers forum and look at the valuable advice that Theogriff has.
    James

4. Thank you. I am starting to think its me and I dont know what to do.