1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

NQT accredited - International school in Germany

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by tommy_laughton, Sep 10, 2019.

1. tommy_laughton

tommy_laughton New commenter

I am an NQT and have just secured a role at a British international school in Germany. I am told that there is an NQT induction based on the UK model but it is not accredited as the school isn’t affiliated with UK authorities. Does this affect my pay scale if I return to the UK? And would the evidence I obtain at the school during the NQT induction be sufficient to bring back to the UK should I decide to do so?

Any help is greatly appreciated!

2. dumbbells66

dumbbells66 Lead commenter

if its not accredited or affiliated with the UK then it wont be recognized in the UK.....simple

as far as i am aware you can only do this in COBIS schools and that would be recognized.

3. tommy_laughton

tommy_laughton New commenter

Thanks for the reply.

So basically if I work there for 10+ years then came back to the UK to work in a school I would start on M1?

4. dumbbells66

dumbbells66 Lead commenter

from my understanding yes... but i also have no idea why anyone would ever want to return to the UK

5. february31st

february31st Established commenter

If you returned to the State Sector of teaching in the UK you may lose some years service, but its up to the head to calculate this in an offer. The Free Schools/Academy sector just what cheap labour so unless you have been teaching A level maths for 19 years expect little or no incentive to work there.

I know many teachers including myself who had the years overseas counted in calculating pay scales in state schools, I even went over the threshold for my years of service.

6. treefrog101

treefrog101 New commenter

I think there is a time frame in which you need to complete your qts in order to become a qualified teacher or else you may not be able to work as one at all. I don't know the details but might be worth looking into

7. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

The general consensus on this TES forum has always been that it is pretty much up to the head of the individual school as to how relevant your international experience has been (or will be) and therefore whether or not you deserve to be higher up on the pay scale. Private (i.e. independent) schools tend to take a more positive view.

Also, as has been said above, there are a number of COBIS schools where NQTs can "do" their induction year and so they will not have to do it again, if and when they return to the UK. Having said that, getting a job back in the UK is not always an easy thing to do if you are teaching overseas. Attending face-to-face interviews can be a bit of a problem. Some schools in the UK are quite generous when it comes to refunding interview expenses and some, in my experience, are very mean.

Again and again, commentators on this TES forum have said it really it is so much better to do your NQT year in the UK. Having said that, some NQTs do not have much choice and they either have to get an overseas teaching job, scrape by with a bit of supply teaching or be unemployed.

8. T0nyGT

T0nyGT Lead commenter

There is no pay scale in the UK any more. They can pay you as much or as little as they want. So they're not tied in to paying you only based on your UK experience. However, you legally won't have completed your induction year so surely won't have QTS. Or maybe I'm wrong there

9. hallsa1

hallsa1 New commenter

That’s not strictly true. There is still a teacher’s payscale. The change has been that if you move schools your new school does not have to pay you at your current level on that scale. As an example I was class teaching on UPS1 but moved schools to take a ppa cover teacher role which was paid at M6. Perfectly fine as I had no extra responsibility at all.

10. englishtt06

englishtt06 Occasional commenter

To echo other posters, schools are able to pay you anywhere on the scale they wish (if they abide by the payscales) as pay portability has gone. However, you would still need to complete induction to teach in UK state sector schools (a separate issue to payscales - kind of - and one MUCH DISCUSSED on this forum).

In terms of 'British' schools in Germany, there is one near Cologne that has a TERRIBLE reputation for staff (they have schools in other German cities but I don't know if they are as bad); they have advertised every single year for my subject since I started teaching (thirteen years ago in UK state sector) - sometimes twice per academic year! However, this isn't just true of my subject - they are constantly hemorrhaging staff. As of June 2019, they were advertising around fifteen posts to start this September. If this is the same school - tread cautiously....

I'd love to email the school and point out that actually investing in staff and treating them well would probably be a lot cheaper than multiple, continuous adverts in the TES and the headache of a constant turnover of teachers.