1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

NQT accepted job in special measures school - right decision?!

Discussion in 'New teachers' started by Kartoshka, Mar 26, 2012.

1. Kartoshka

Kartoshka Established commenter

Looking on the positive side:
    You are likely to get a lot of support, as the school will want you to shine and support them in their journey out of special measures.
    You won't get into bad habits because HMI will want to see everything being done by the book.
    You are guaranteed at least one visit by Ofsted in your first year, so you will have that experience under your belt early on in your teaching career!
    Congratulations on your new job!

2. Schools that are in or about to go in special measures are not permited to recruit and offer posts to NQTs unless they obtain permission from OFSTED to do so. They must obtain in writing permission from an HMI and to gain permission they must show how they will meet their obligations and the legal requirements of induction. Normally the school will discuss support with the LA and the LA must also be satisfied that the school can properly support a NQT. The suggestion to contact the LA is a good one as they are the body that decides if a job is suitable for induction. If the LA decides that the school cannot fully meet its obligations they could rule that the post is unsuitable for induction and the school would then be breaking the law by employing you and not placing you on induction, they would also suffer as OFSTED would not be happy that the school has a NQT who cannot be supported on induction.
    It may well be that the school and LA have all of this in hand and there is no problem, but do check.
    The Sage

3. bobbycatrules

bobbycatrules New commenter

I know of an NQT in a school which went into SM, then because the school was rubbish at supporting her she ended up with a 2 term NQT extension which is virtually unheard of. Be careful.

4. It normally indicates in inspection reports whether the school is restricted from employing NQTs, or is allowed and any conditions. I'd check their most recent report from the Ofsted website and see what that says.

5. Any training is only as good as the trainee. If you are the kind of person who needs to be "looked after" who requires support and proper mentoring then the chances are a school in special measures won't be of benefit to you. If you learn from experience and can motivate yourself and don't need people around you
    then you will probably find it will be tough but you can manage.

However please remember, whatever you think of OFSTED, a school will be in special measures for a reason. Staff and leadership at the school will always have a vested interest in painting a picture in opposition to the facts.

The only way you can be sure is by finding out as much as possible about the school. Spend as much time at the school as possible. Speak to staff, students and if possible parents and then on top of that be reflective. Use all the information to make an informed judgement. The pressure of finding a job is great but nothing compared to the pressure of being in the wrong school.

Only you will know if this is the right choice for you and the truth is you will only really know this having worked there.

The main point I can pass on is that teaching is less about situation and more about personalities. Working at tough school with great support is always better than a great school with no support.

6. Thank you everyone for your messages it has been a huge help. I've checked the Ofsted report and it transpires that the school are not allowed to hire NQTs. It's been a huge blow as for the last couple of months I've understood that I have a job to go to in September when actually I don't.

Again, thank you everyone for all your help with this, I'm going to start a new thread about what to do next.

Nell

7. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

Better to find out now than in September! Good luck with your new jobsearch.