1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

NQT accepted job in special measures school - NQT not allowed

Discussion in 'New teachers' started by Nell_Trebus, Mar 31, 2012.

1. Hi everyone,

I posted a little while ago asking for help as I was offered a job at a special measures school which I accepted (received confirmation of offer in writing but haven't received or signed a contract).

However, after checking the latest Ofsted report which was completed just 4 months before my offer of a job, it clearly states NQTs are not allowed to work in this school.

It has obviously come as quite a shock and I'm happy to work away from the school as I wouldn't want to jeopardise my NQT year, however I'm just wondering what to do next.

Obviously the job hunt will start again after missing out on almost 2 months of applying for jobs, but should I contact Ofsted or the LA? surely they can't do this?

Once again I welcome all honest opinions.

Thank you from a disheartened and frustrated NQT

2. PaulDG

PaulDG Occasional commenter

The LEA Induction Panel can give special permission for a NQT to work in and complete Induction in a school in special measures, so it's not black and white and your job offer may be valid.

Howeverno special treatment as a NQT and no "relaxation" in any of the standards (or anything else) as it is deemed that "you knew what you were getting into".

Contact the school and discuss the situation with them. Your verbal acceptance of their offer is enough to commit you to taking the job and they may well just be expecting you to start in September.

It's your choice, and if you're in a phase of your life where you can put in the hours needed to cope with the stress you will be under (and have a good support network at home), then you could learn a lot from taking the job.

But I'd also suggest that if you've got other things in your life (your own kids?), that you do your best to get out now. Certainly that's what many of the experienced teachers will be doing. Very few people want to work in a school in special measures!

3. "Once again I welcome all honest opinions" - Not sure this was true in your case PaulDG!
    Maybe you will welcome mine? If I was in your position, I would seriously consider a re-think. A school in special measures means that you will be scrutinised on a daily basis in a much more invasive way than a school that is satisfactory or above, by SLT, middle management, the pastoral team and any outside consultancy the school may bring in. By this I mean you will be observed/dropped in/monitored very closely on a daily basis on both the classroom objectives that, as an NQT now, you will have to meet in every lesson, as well as the OFSTED criteria that is much more rigourous than the objectives you had to meet at your PGCE. It is exhausting for an experienced teacher let alone an NQT that quite rightly so, still needs support and a fair induction. It is upsetting to have to go back on the job hunt but I can promise you that interview days at future schools will be infinitely less stressful in the long run. Good luck with what you end up doing-teaching can be a fab job if you find the right school for you :)

4. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

I believe I advised on your earlier post that you should contact the LA as they will be able to tell you if your subject has special permission to be taught at that school by an NQT.
    You may still not want to take up the post even if there is special permission as the regime under SM will be gruelling. Your point of contact should then be with the school, telling them that you are not prepared to risk your Induction in a school that is under special scrutiny and where the people appointed to be your mentors may have too much on their plates already.
    Special Measures usually sees off a fair number of experienced teachers because the staff are always blamed for Special Measures in the first place and will be the scapegoats if the school fails to improve (or improves at too slow a rate for Ofsted).
    N0-one sees that SM is usually about the antagonistic intake of the school and that placing all the puils in a school at the top of the league tables, with that top school's existing staff, would see that school plummet to the bottom of the league tables over the next few years!