1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

NQT abroad

Discussion in 'New teachers' started by FRANCIE11, Apr 2, 2012.

1. Hi, I know in the past it was not possible to do your NQT abroad but did I hear right that is there some upcoming announcement regarding this with the possibility of it being changed to allowing you to complete it abroad?

2. Hi, I know in the past it was not possible to do your NQT abroad but did I hear right that is there some upcoming announcement regarding this with the possibility of it being changed to allowing you to complete it abroad?

3. littlemissraw

littlemissraw Occasional commenter

Maybe in British schools. Still up in the air x

4. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

How British is a "British School"? Is there an objective test for a school's "Britishness"?
    I am currently teaching in Qatar, having taught in the UK, Kenya, Saudi Arabia, Egypt, Romania and the UAE. I would say yes, it is possible for an NQT to get a job in an international school. I would also say no, it will not be much use if you want to get a teaching job back in the UK at some point. Headteachers of most schools in the UK usually try to select the candidate for a teaching post who has best qualifications and the most relevant experience. Obviously someone who has done their NQT year in an international school will therefore be at a disadvantage. There are plenty of unemployed teachers in the UK at the moment, so do you really want to have shot yourself in the foot when going for a job interview? My advice would be to do your NQT year in the UK, if you possibly can.

5. There are moves to allow NQTs to pass inductionat a British school abroad - that is a school that delivers the national curriculum. Details have yet to be announced on any conditions, which schools do and do not qualify and when it may happen.
    The Sage

6. Could anyone please share some updates on this? Is it now allowed to do the induction year at a British school abroad? Thanks!