1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Nqt Abroad

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by lavender42, Feb 18, 2011.

1. Hi I need some advice on a job vacancy I have seen advertised for a Biology Teacher in Dubai. Is it possible to do my NQT year out there?
    Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

2. Hi I need some advice on a job vacancy I have seen advertised for a Biology Teacher in Dubai. Is it possible to do my NQT year out there?
    Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

3. Karvol

Karvol Occasional commenter

No.

4. MisterMaker

MisterMaker Occasional commenter

And double no.
    Plus, as an NQT, do not risk your career by going overseas before completing at least two years, preferably three, in the UK.

5. invincible

invincible New commenter

Especially if you ever intend to teach in the UK in the future.

6. invincible

invincible New commenter

Oops. Forgot to triple the no.

7. rednelly84

rednelly84 New commenter

I trained in Scotland, so pardon my ignorance but isn't there some rule that English, Welsh and NI NQTs have to complete said year within 5 years of graduating? Few colleagues here are in this boat and are now wondering if and when they can return to the UK to do so.

8. groovybob

groovybob New commenter

<font size="3">what about if someone never will return to the British mainstream school system, </font><font size="3">how detrimental cannot completing NQT be to someone who never returns to UK?</font><font size="3">is QTS enough to make an international career?</font>

9. invincible

invincible New commenter

Nope and there never has been. It used to be that NQTs had to complete their induction within 5 years of starting it but that rule was dropped in 2009. Now there is no limitation (although it makes sense to do it as soon as possible after graduating while it's all fresh in your head).
    Not doing induction and then going overseas without ever planning to return to teach in the UK, yeah you could do it. BUT the good international schools want people who have a minimum of two years' post qualifying experience so an NQT would stand little chance of getting a good job. Yes, NQTs have been knows to get jobs ni international schools but these tend to be dodgy schools. An NQT would get no support in any case and no reduced timetable and so on and would be expected to be able to hold their own. International school teaching is not a piece of p**s (did the asterisks for you TES) and it would be a trial combined with moving to a new country, living in a strange culture without a support network of family and friends around you.
    Also think that you don't know what the future may hold and you may one day find yourself back in the UK through no fault of your own and then needing a job. Without having done induction, it would be very difficult and you'd still be an NQT and have to do it anyway.
    Just food for thought. However, if anyone who wants to go overseas without induction and finds a job, why not? It could only be for one year and could be an adventure. You might even get lucky and land on your feet in a perfectly decent school (but you'd have to be VERY lucky).
    It just pays to weigh up the pros and cons...and there are far more cons.

10. invincible

invincible New commenter

Yep, I see the typos. My first day off tomorrow in 14 days. Go figure.

11. MisterMaker

MisterMaker Occasional commenter

It can be detrimental in that as an NQT you will likely only have the very low tier schools interested in you. If you start your career in a crp school it can have negative repercussions long into your career, certainly references may be hard to get.
    It is rarely a good idea for a NQT to go straight to an overseas post.
    There used to be a rule that you must complete your induction year within five years, not sure if it's still the case, but even it is isn't you'll find getting back to the UK very difficult. Most of the best schools internationally prefer some UK experience.

12. rednelly84

rednelly84 New commenter

Thanks for clearing that up. I do agree that it is wise to complete it as soon as possible. One good thing about the Scottish system I suppose.
    :)