1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

NQT abroad

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by MissJJJ, Feb 6, 2008.

1. gafleecey

gafleecey New commenter

The school I worked in a few years ago took on a graduate without a PGCE, let alone NQT. They were so impressed by him, that they paid for him to do the PGCEi.

2. HI, I've been approached to work in Egypt and I will be an NQT, I am really excited and understand that I won't be monitored but if/ when I decide to come back to England/UK I will then undertake my NQT year and go from there... am I completely insane or is anyone else in my situation?

Thanks

3. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

Well, it might be better than being unemployed. Maybe you won't bother going back to the UK anyway.

4. IAMBOG

IAMBOG New commenter

Well, how is your class managment? Egyptian kids are not for the faint hearted. They are loud, disrespectful and lazy (I am refering specifically to the boys - most of the girls are fine). You better have good control or it could turn into a nightmare. I'm the first teacher in my school to last more than a year in Year 8 :). I'll be going into my third year at Y8 in September. I don't know whether it's because I'm good at classroom management or I'm just too stupid to leave. I suspect a combination of both. I came here straight out of my B.Ed. . It hasn't been easy.

5. I came here to Cairo as an NQT and am now completing my seventh year.
    I've not found them to be that at all - you do get a range of bad behaviours as you would elsewhere in the World but it is mild compared to what you would experience in a UK high school.
    I quite like them; they often display a lot of friendliness and good humour.
    It hasn't been easy but teaching isn't supposed to be easy.
    If you are worried about classroom management then follow your school's disciplinary procedures and ask for help from colleagues - teachers are generally a helpful bunch.
    Good luck.

6. IAMBOG

IAMBOG New commenter

Isn't that school 50% expat and able to be a bit more discerning in it's choice of students? We're not really comparing like with like.

7. Nope.
    My school is practically all Egyptian and is non selective.

8. IAMBOG

IAMBOG New commenter

I am speaking about the school you worked at when you first arrived (when you were a new teacher), not the one you work at now.

9. ???
    But weren't we commenting upon the behaviour of Egyptian kids?
    The school I work at now is mainly Egyptian kids and I've been there for over four years.
    I didn't find much difference between the kids of each school, teenagers are teenagers.
    The difference I did find was was more to do with the styles of management within the schools - I have much more real support at my current school than I received at the previous school. That is so important in any school anywhere.
    You claimed Egyptian kids are disrespectful. I claim that they're not. I am comparing like with like.

10. IAMBOG

IAMBOG New commenter

I was offering advice to a newbie, based on the experience I've had at my school. By the sounds of it she will not be working at a school like new cookie and his/her school may not have the style of management required in Egypt (but I cannot know that for sure, obviously).
    Your advice is equally valid, I'm not disputing it. You taught at different and, I would argue, better organised schools than my own. However, for every teacher that says Egyptian kids (and let's be specific, I mean boys) are hard working/diligent/etc, I can find five that say they are a pain in the ****. We know teachers from several other schools (including the messy one) and their experience pretty much tallies with ours.
    Let me describe yesterday in my class; one student thrown out of Arabic (for having a total lack of self-control) and I believe suspended; two kids (I believe) suspended for repeated and continual bullying of another student. I say 'believe', because it was the end of the day and I didn't find out what happened. This is not a typical day, but we do indeed have days like this every month or two.
    We have a teacher at our school who claims the kids are all wonderful, but yet seems to spend a significant portion of the day screaming at them. I do shout, certainly no where near as much as he does, and it's a last resort, but I do it if it needs to be done. I have developed an upper level of shoutiness that I did not have before arriving in Egypt (and I hope to lose after I leave). When it kicks in it sounds like the screeches of a death metal singer and it does the trick, they listen and do as instructed. The majority of the time wait time and proximity works just fine, but sometimes, after the class has consumed several brain altering piles of junk food from the cafeteria, wait time is not enough.
    Just to add, most of the girls, in fact this year, I'd say all the girls are great, well organised, hardworking and friendly.
    Schools in Egypt straddled the board, just like they do in any other country.

11. I'm a 24 yr old PGCE student almost at the end of my course. I really don't know what to do next! I have an offer at an international school in Moscow with a good package etc (but without being able to complete an NQT year) or an NQT position in a school in my local area! Now I am in two minds, do i stay in UK and complete my NQT year get it done and dusted and then apply internationally? Or do I just blow caution to the wind and grab the opportunity to go and experience teaching internationally?! I haven't a clue what to do, it's such a hard decision and I have hardly any time to make the decision :(

12. the hippo

Grab the Moscow job and start practising the lingo. I think that you will find that "Nasdorovya!" is a very important phrase in Russian.
    Who in their right mind wants to work in the UK anyway?

13. Karvol

Karvol Occasional commenter

Who in their right mind would want to work in Russia either?

14. Hi Robbywilliams66, My name is Laura Trinidad. I am PGCE student in London Metropolitan University. I will be finishing my PGCE by June 2015 and I am looking for a school in Cairo to do m y NQT. I am very happy to read that you did your NQT in Cairo, lucky you!!

I have experience working in UK, in Primary and Secondary, and also I worked in Cairo in an International School. I will really love to settle in Cairo next year, but I want to do my NQT in order to gain my QTS.

I really will appreciate if you can let me know any job vacancy starting September 2015 hat will support my induction year, will be like see my dreams come true.

Please, any advice will be more than welcome.

Thanks in advance and here is my email if you want to contact me:

joaneli4@hotmail.com

Enjoy your time in Egypt and hope I can join you soon.

Regards,

Laura

15. the hippo

If you really want to teach in the UK, get your QTS and complete your NQT in a school that follows the National Curriculum, then of course the best thing to do is to stay in the UK. On the other hand, if you want to have a career in international education and you have no plans to teach in the UK, then perhaps it does not matter too much whether or not you have done your NQT year in a school in the UK. Having taught in the UK as well as in one or two countries overseas, I would say that there are some differences between a typical school in the UK and an international school in Cairo or Nairobi or Shenzhen. The one is not really much of a preparation for the other, so it is not always easy (or even possible) to move from one to the other.

Of course just about anything is possible if you teach Physics, Lauratrinidad, so let's hope that you are up to scratch with your Quantum Mechanics.

16. spatialplanning

spatialplanning New commenter

I am in a similar position to a few others here. I will be graduating from a Scottish university with a view to teaching abroad straight away. Doing the NQT/induction year in the UK isn't an option for me (I have a teaching partner who can't work in a UK school) and I don't plan on ever teaching in the UK myself.

I know that it's not ideal to move into the international circuit without gaining experience in the UK but I'm hoping that it won't be an issue once I build up my experience teaching internationally over the next 2-5 years. Perhaps someone could shed some light on this?

17. the hippo

Well, as I was saying, spatialplanning, it is a big issue if you are intending to move back to the UK and teach there at some point. However, I do not think that this is a huge problem if you make your career in international schools. Having said that, I think that it is only fair to warn you (and others) that in Qatar there were some schools that employed quite a few NQTs and they pretty blooming awful places to be a teacher. Experience gained teaching internationally may perhaps have some value, but then again it might not. I suppose that this might rather depend on the nature of the international experience and the kind of teaching job you are applying for back in Blighty.

When I was teaching in the UAE, I knew a Chemistry teacher who resigned. Within less than 24 hours, he had several unsolicited job offers, one in the middle of the night from the head of a school in South America who promised to "fix him up" with an "attractive local lady". And that is the kind of thing that you won't find in a TES job advertisement.

18. dunez01

dunez01 New commenter

It's very funny reading these naysayers about nqts not being successful abroad and damaging their chances. My advice is to get out of the UK system as soon as you have that qts certificate and get experiencing international curriculum. The best schools don't care about UK experience cos they know what a dated pedagogy it is. The best schools aren't British BTW.

Teachallover likes this.
  19. binaryhex

binaryhex Lead commenter

Try to find a job in a grammar or independent school in the UK, to get the best experience for a career abroad. I wouldn't wish working in a non-selective state school on anyone. You will spend all your time learning, or trying to learn, how to control pupils who are uncontrollable, dealing with never ending low level disruption and won't actually get experience teaching to the high standards required by most excellent schools abroad.

20. dumbbells66

dumbbells66 Lead commenter

i dont have my NQT, and i havent struggled internationally...well apart from Spain, and god knows so many do there.
    i couldnt get anywhere to do my NQT in the UK (quite a few years ago now) and i spent my first couple of years doing long term cover. after i had enough of that i left to work abroad.... apart from the hell i went through in Spain, the rest has been an amazing experience.
    and its definitely NOT a requirement for the excellent schools on the international circuit. its only a requirement to work in state schools, and most international schools, unless they are British schools, will not know or care what it is. remember that British schools only make up a small part of international schools out there.