1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

NPQSL - is it the way up?

Discussion in 'Senior Leadership Team' started by PrincesitaAnna, Jun 8, 2019.

1. PrincesitaAnna

PrincesitaAnna New commenter

I have been a Head of Department (academic), I am a House Mistress (Pastoral) in an independent school, and I want to make the next step to Deputy Head Pastoral. My head suggested NPQSL is the way to go. However I think he suggested it because it was the first thing that came to him having turned me down for an in school Senior appointment.
    Next, how do I ensure my project is relevant to both my school and my next one?
    Experience and reflections welcome. Thank you.

2. TheBigPickle

TheBigPickle New commenter

I have started it and am finding it useful so far.

3. sooooexcited

sooooexcited Occasional commenter

You don't need it but it's interesting from what I've been told.

I know many DHTs/HTs who didn't go down this route and are very successful.

4. reg_mcledge

reg_mcledge New commenter

I completed the NPQML award and had a similar decision as to whether to go for the NPQSL award or to do a Master's. After speaking with my Principal, headteacher and other colleagues within education, I decided to take the Master's route which I am halfway through. In terms of learning, I have learnt much more on my Master's in Ed Leadership & Mgt than I did on my NPQML. 6 months after beginning the course I was also successful with an internal deputy head appointment.

I guess both will have their merits and either way, the NPQSL will only help any future applications. Good luck with whatever you decide.

5. moontitan

moontitan New commenter

The best heads are the old timers, on their way out, who do nothing and staff pretty much left to get on with just teaching. I worked in one school which had a head teacher and 2 deputies as SLT, smallest I have known, it was a great school.

6. apapa

apapa New commenter

I did the NPQSL. Did my project on whole school mental wellbeing and found it a useful and interesting project that I was able to refer to in subsequent interviews and applications. It took two years after completing to get a DH job.