1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

NPQML or NPQSL

Discussion in 'Senior Leadership Team' started by early_years_adventures, Apr 26, 2017.

1. early_years_adventures

early_years_adventures New commenter

I am looking at courses from September. I am starting to implement a new way of teaching in early years which, if successful will be rolled out across our linked schools. I would, however, like to do a course alongside this. I have been looking at the NPQML and NPQSL.

My question is, am I too inexperienced to undertake the SL course? I am on the SLT and a middle leader of EAL/Humanities and I am leading our new approach, although not EYFS leader. Is implementing a new early years approach and cascading it be a whole school initiative? Would the NPQML be better suited?

Are there any other courses that would be more appropriate?

Thank you in advance

install likes this.
  2. joannak1

joannak1 New commenter

In my opinion, NPQSL would be best as it prepares you for your next role / promotion to AH or DH and looks at wider whole school issues. NPQML seems better suited to teachers looking to move in to a middle leader role and would probably not be very beneficial to somebody who already has SLT experience. It focuses more on leading a team within a school. I did the NPQSL whilst a Head of Year and it was really worthwhile and I have also supported colleagues doing the NPQML. Hope that helps.

install likes this.
  3. dookiedaveuk

dookiedaveuk New commenter

SL

install likes this.
  4. eclrcoul

eclrcoul New commenter

I found the NPQSL extremely useful and gave me the confidence to drive my own role forward enough to achieve an AHT post within 18 months of starting the course! Good luck!!

install likes this.
  5. slatif5

slatif5 New commenter

I am currently ks4 progress lead and 2ic and have signed up for ML but it seems like a wrong choice, any suggestions?

install likes this.
  6. Trendy Art

Trendy Art Star commenter

Discuss with your line manager/the head. Give your reasons as to why it's a wrong choice along with evidence to support what you want to do instead.

install likes this.
  7. install

install Star commenter

NPQSL will be fine...

8. LAH111

LAH111 New commenter

I am an AHT of two years and so wondering if this course is too late? I am kind of in between as the NPQH is prob a year or two too early for me- any advice appreciated

9. scienceteacher555

scienceteacher555 New commenter

From what I know, the NPQSL eligbility requirements is 'aspiring senior leader' therefore I assume you can do this if your line manager and HT agrees?