1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

NPQML assessment help

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by carterkit, Apr 5, 2017.

Tags:
  1. saluki

saluki Lead commenter

Reflective Practice. You should be doing this every single day as a matter of course. Action Plan - this is bound to be around somewhere. I attended a meeting with the principal about this where they reviewed the last year and what we will all be doing in the next academic year. Then everyone griped about what they did or didn't want for their particular department. I have forgotten what was said. (Boring).
    However, your department must have a plan for the next year - how you are going to improve XYZ, change of marking, change of tracking, improve discipline, improve attainment, focus on G&T, focus on WWB, improve parental engagement, extra-curricular activities. Again, I have sat through some totally boring meetings outlining what we are going to do next year. Surely you must have a plan - or is your school inadequate?
    Your essay, too, should have a plan! It should consist of an introduction outlining what you are going to do - 500 words; then I suggest you cover about 4-5 topics/steps - each one should consist of 800-1,000 words; each section should be coherent and lead fluently on to the next section. Finally, you should write a conclusion of about 500 words which sums up the essence of your essay, what you have discovered, what conclusions you have drawn and what you are going to do about it. Your essay plan should have been submitted to your tutor for approval, advice and discussion, with area which may need to be improved, discarded, altered.
    I have never even heard of NPQML but I bet I could pass it standing on my head.

2. saluki

saluki Lead commenter

p.s. in the grown up world a WAGOLL is called an exemplar.

knitone and fairypenny like this.
  3. lillipad

lillipad New commenter

I've done an NPQML and it wasn't an essay to write? For mine we were given a proforma and you had to fill in evidence for each of the competencies? This could be different in other areas. But the proforma was divided into 'setting up the task' 'leading the task' and 'evaluating the task' and you had to write about how you met each competency at each stage of the task. This didn't become clear to me until I actually attended the final face to face session. I completed all of these and completed my task before I even attempted to write. You can also choose your submission date, so you can buy yourself more time if you need to.
    I had no word limit either, but we did have a page limit. (20 including appendices)

4. alikijd

alikijd New commenter

The replies on this thread are actually some of the rudest, most condescending replies to a thread I have ever had the misfortune of reading. If you don't want to share your work, you don't have to, but no need to belittle the author of the original post, make snide remarks or give pointless advice that no one asked for. As for "p.s. in the grown up world a WAGOLL is called an exemplar" "I've never even heard of NPQML but I bet I could pass it standing on my head' ...I'm genuinely speechless at your arrogance; seriously, [This comment/section/image has been removed for breaching our Community Guidelines/Terms and conditions], as you don't know what you're on about!! /rant.

5. Tinycat1234

Tinycat1234 Established commenter

I really doubt any sensible person will just share their essay with you!

6. mrsfry

mrsfry New commenter

I completed mine this July. Three lovely colleagues let me look at theirs to see how to put it together and even though my content was completely different it really helped to see a finished ones and see how they could be very different. Wagoll is a perfectly accurate word from one primary school teacher to another. I couldn't have helped you in October, I hope you got through it.

carterkit likes this.
  7. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Don't worry, you will be back in school next week and won't have the time to look in TES!

saluki likes this.
  8. blazer

blazer Star commenter

If this course is so good and so many teachers pass it why is the quality of leadership in schools so ****

9. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Goodness I was clearly feeling a bit sulky when I wrote my post all that time ago!!!
    Oooops

10. carterkit

carterkit Occasional commenter

Thank you. I did pass. A very kind person shared their completed assessment with me and although it was totally different - different key stage, different topic etc - it really helped just to get an idea of how it is put together.

bloggerjcb10 likes this.
  11. saluki

saluki Lead commenter

ooh. I've only just picked this thread up and found that I am rude and arrogant.
    Primary school teachers may say WAGOLL. True. But I am assuming that this was an academic essay at university level. Therefore, exemplar would have been the correct word to use.
    The statement that I bet I could pass a NPQML standing on my head is because I have passed 3 degrees including an M.A. plus a PGCE and other university certificates and CPD courses and subject enhancement courses. Although I may have had advice from my tutors on structure and guidance the content of my work was always my own. I thought that the advice which I outlined in post 21 may have been helpful.
    Don't worry, I won't bother offering my pearls of wisdom to struggling management again. I should have known better :)

12. maryanneroberts

maryanneroberts New commenter

I am currently completing mine and too would appreciate an example to look at just as a guide - is is hard to know what to put in the sections and see how it fits together.

13. maryanneroberts

I think it is great that colleagues are prepared to help each other - I am currently completing mine and always think an example is great support - don’t we do that with children share models and practice.

14. carterkit

carterkit Occasional commenter

If you pm me, I'll send you an example.

15. Pomza

Pomza Star commenter

So true.

16. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Perhaps this is explaining why school management is so poor. Those applying have all copied each other's essays to pass.

saluki and SundaeTrifle like this.
  17. blazer

blazer Star commenter

If you can't work it out then perhaps you are not cut out for management?

SundaeTrifle likes this.
  18. newposter

newposter Occasional commenter

We are lions led by donkeys.

19. maryanneroberts

20. maryanneroberts

Or perhaps assignment writing shouldn’t determine whether you are a good leader or not.