1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

NPQML assessment help

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by carterkit, Apr 5, 2017.

Tags:
  1. carterkit

carterkit Occasional commenter

Please would anyone be willing to share their NQPML final assessment with me?

I have never seen a completed assessment (No-one at my school has done it and we weren't given one on the course). I have written about half the 5,000 words needed and am just not sure that it is what is required. I've pored over all the guidance and handouts we've been given but what I really need is a WAGOLL!

And when - and if! - I finish mine and pass, I will put it on a blog to help others in the same situation in the future.

Thanks for reading.

2. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

:D:D:D:D:D

I'll take pity on you and tell you exactly what is required.

That you think for yourself and write your essay on your own topic, in your own words and your own style.
    Yours could be the polar opposite of someone else's and still be absolutely fine.

3. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Don't you just love acronyms - especially when you have no idea what they mean.

NQPML ?????
    WAGOLL ?????

4. caterpillartobutterfly

NPQML is the middle leader qualification thingy, generally for those who have been a teacher for five minutes but have been given leadership roles they have idea about. So they do a course.

Clearly the importance of doing your own work and crediting others with their ideas and work isn't part of the course. :rolleyes:

WAGOLL is something like 'What A Good One Looks Like' and it's where you show children a finished product in art or similar. Not sure how it would work for a 5000 word essay though!

5. peakster

peakster Star commenter

I love the idea that someone who aspires to be a school leader doesn't know how to write a 5000 word essay.

The future of education is in safe hands.

6. caterpillartobutterfly

To be fair it is really, really hard.

I did one for my masters a few months back and hadn't written an essay of any kind for about 30 years and GCSE ones were only 500 words.

However I got my act together, got my head down and got on with it!
    Looking at someone else's would have been daft.

jlishman2158 and Tinycat1234 like this.
  7. primenumbers

primenumbers New commenter

It probably takes 3-4 hours to do. Everyone passes so who cares what you write anyway :)

8. caterpillartobutterfly

Really???? Flippin heck I knew I should have done an NPQSL and not a masters!

Mine took a week and not everyone else passed!
    And that was just the first of two essays and there is a dissertation as well.

9. michael__foster

michael__foster New commenter

To be honest, this is something worth doing yourself. When our leader gave us model NPQSL assessments, I felt they weren't that strong. Surely your course leader can point you in the direction of something. That's what you/ the school pay for.

jlishman2158 likes this.
  10. primenumbers

primenumbers New commenter

I put off doing a Master because it is something that needs to be done properly.
    NPQML takes a long time to do but it is quite easy and not time consuming to do the assignment. You don't have to present that much data or do much analysis so it took me a couple of hours each day over a weekend to write it up. It is all about the person who writes the comments for your assignment. Out of 15 people I knew, everyone passed. Quite a small sample I know but enough to say it is easy.

11. carterkit

I have done a Masters and felt I knew exactly what the requirements were. For this I feel I don't. My concern is precisely that what I am doing is too lightweight for a professional qualification. It is interesting to hear that other people were given models.

Thank you all for your replies.

12. MrsMusgrove

MrsMusgrove New commenter

I think what you get out of the NPQML depends on how much you put in. I did it last year (because I have been teaching a long time and thought it was time to start spreading my wings a little) and I found it very interesting and hugely beneficial to my professional development. I did not think it was easy but I did lots and lots of my own reading and research and as many of the online modules as I could. I loved it.
    This wasn't the feeling of everyone on the course, however, and I think that's to do with the way you approach it, what you want from it, and where you are in your teaching career.
    Writing the assignment was something new but it's largely about reflecting on your practice and the success of your project. Back this up with any research/reading you've done. And include evidence that you should have anyway as part of your leadership role in school e.g reports to stakeholders, data analysis, staff training etc.
    I found it best to work on the assignment little and often - it's difficult to do it all retrospectively - I would forget important points!
    Not everyone on my course passed. I'd advise you to use your tutors as much as possible, they will offer guidance. Good luck!

13. geographyrox

geographyrox New commenter

Hi there,

sorry to piggyback on the thread. I have decided to finally write up my project, and have spent the day filling in the grid and found evidence fine (though I'm not sure I truly get the competencies - the names used sometimes seem to bear little relation to the criteria! Also I have written around 3000 words in the grid, nowhere near 5000, but as far as I'm aware there's no actual word count right?), but I'm struggling with the (ahem - retrospective) action plan.. I have never written or used an action plan in my life, nor are there any in the school shared drive. In my mind it is just a list of steps I should take, but that seems a bit basic, and looking online there are all sorts of weird and wonderful templates. Could someone in a school that does such things suggest a suitable format?

Thanks

jlishman2158 likes this.
  14. caterpillartobutterfly

I can't believe your school has no action plans at all.
    Ask your head or deputy for some, they are presumably supporting you in doing this course.

jlishman2158 and musicandmaths like this.
  15. musicandmaths

musicandmaths New commenter

Having completed the NPQML last year, I thought the whole project had to be based on an action plan? I had to include both the original plan and the final evaluated copy as part of my supporting evidence. Like caterpillartobutterfly says, your first port of call should definitely be the leadership at your school - have you got an allocated mentor for the project? They would be a useful source of advice. I am unaware of any school that doesn't have action plans these days.

And in response to the word count issue - I had a page limit instead (think it was 20).

jlishman2158 likes this.
  16. geographyrox

geographyrox New commenter

Thanks, I will indeed ask slt, though was hoping to try and get the whole thing wrapped up by the end of the holiday, hence asking here.

And it might well be that there are action plans in the school, I have just never come across them in my last few years as HoD. My understanding is that the assessment is about implementing an initiative across the department which improves teaching/learning/outcomes etc. Which I did, and which had some pretty good measurable outcomes in terms of student attainment and staff feedback, but to be honest I just went and did it with quite alot of adaptation and improvisation along the way, I didnt write any plans about it, hence why I'm not really sure what format these plans are meant to take.

Anyway thanks for taking the time to reply, I guess I shall just wait for school to start again and ask around.

17. carterkit

Hi,
    If you would like to PM me, I may be able to help.

geographyrox likes this.
  18. denice304

denice304 New commenter

Hi I totally agree with some of the other posts. I'm am a full time teaching HLTA/DSL, currently doing the NPQML course due to complete in July, and feel that you need to look at your priority focus you completed at the start of the course and as harsh as it may sound try to complete it your self. Every project will be different and is unique to you and your school. I have had good feed back with mine so far. Your tutor and sponsor should guide you. Just ensure you relate to the competency throughout and don't rush it. Good luck

19. denice304

denice304 New commenter

Use the hand book to also support you, it will be worth it.

20. hannahzed

hannahzed New commenter

If you still require some support in understanding the layout etc, follow the NPQLM2017 group on Facebook. Someone kindly shared with me as it was completely different to action research and dissertation. It is of course all completely individual, but I started in March and felt bamboozled too. As professional, we should be able to offer support, not snide remarks like some below.

CERIGRAHAM and alikijd like this.