1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

NPQH

Discussion in 'Headteachers' started by golf12, Oct 13, 2019.

1. golf12

golf12 New commenter

Has anyone managed to get a headship without a NPQH? It seems that it is unofficially still a necessity when applying for headships.

2. mms1

mms1 Occasional commenter

I know more heads without it than with it. I did mine but only because It was part of my previous employers CPD for all DHTs within the group.

Pomza likes this.
  3. abacus1982

abacus1982 Established commenter

Yes.... me!

Round here it is a "desirable" but not "essential". To be honest there's so few people wanting to do the job I can't see how they can limit the field even further by insisting on it!

4. Northhead

Northhead Occasional commenter

Yes, me- twice! Led a school out of a category etc etc so wouldn’t say it’s done me any harm.

Pomza likes this.
  5. digoryvenn

digoryvenn Lead commenter

Yes, me too!

Pomza likes this.
  6. nomad

nomad Star commenter

I became a head before the NPQH was a legal requirement.

I did the LPSH, which was rubbish and a total waste of time.

ViolaClef likes this.
  7. ViolaClef

ViolaClef Lead commenter

I’m afraid the Heads I knew who didn’t have an NPQH were all much better Heads than those I knew who did!
    I think to a great extent you are either cut out to be a Head and you have the qualities and vision to do the job well or you don’t. If you don’t have the right qualities, no amount of training or study can give them to you.

digoryvenn, nomad, Pomza and 2 others like this.
  8. Pomza

Pomza Star commenter

it really isn’t...

digoryvenn and nomad like this.
  9. sooooexcited

sooooexcited Occasional commenter

Most don't bother from what I can see now.

digoryvenn and nomad like this.
  10. golf12

golf12 New commenter

I recently applied for the headship where I am currently dep head and didn’t get shortlisted. The feedback was that the other candidates had more recent leadership training and the 4 shortlisted had the NPQH. Rather frustrating!