1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

NPQH

Discussion in 'Professional development' started by happyhopey, Apr 5, 2012.

1. happyhopey

happyhopey New commenter

I understood that the government had stopped NPQH being compulsory for aspiring heads. Now I see the national college has launched the new NPQH which is supposed to be more rigorous with nine week placements etc.
    I work in a challenging school as a deputy and would like to become a head. I already have a lot of responsibilities and good experience. Although some of the training would be useful, I really don't feel I can take time away from my job to dedicate to it. I also don't think it is fair on my school for me to be giving less than 100% to them.
    Would it ruin my chances of headship or put me at a disadvantage if I did not do the NPQH? Would love some advice and clarification on this if possible.
    Thanks in advance
    Hopey

2. I'm not really answering your question, but do you mean this?

From: http://www.nationalcollege.org.uk/index/professional-development/npqh.htm

What's involved?

The redesigned NPQH follows a modular curriculum based on Master?s level criteria and focuses on developing the knowledge, skills and attributes of a successful headteacher. To achieve the NPQH qualification you?ll need to successfully complete three essential and two elective modules involving extended case studies and related in-school assignments with a stronger focus on leading teaching, behaviour and performance management. You will also complete a placement of a minimum of nine "days" at another school.

3. happyhopey

happyhopey New commenter

yes, that's it, nine days minimum rather than nine weeks but even so.
    Is it still necessary?

4. Necessary no, but useful. Apart from what you might learn, both from the course itself and from other course members, it could be the difference between two good candidates. At interview, the panel will want to see clear evidence that you work hard to develop professionally. However, it might be worth looking around for other relevant professional development opportunities. Although one can always use the internet and reading to develop one's knowledge, being on a course provides useful motivation!

5. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

I'm of the opinion that the placement experience is the best bit about the NPQH - largely because experience as a deputy in your own school makes it difficult to make objective observation of what, exactly, the role of headteacher involves.
    If there's one thing that an awful lot of people who aspire to headship lack, it's real understanding of what being a head actually means. The job is light years away from the job of the deputy head.

6. happyhopey

happyhopey New commenter

Thank you everyone. I realise that Theo John Jo deputy varies a lot but I already have a lot Jo responsibility And Doctors a lot Jo things that are normally only done Brydon The head. Tim fact that's one of the reasons why Tim would be difficult to commit to anything else. Its causing me real anguish

7. happyhopey

happyhopey New commenter

Please forgive the. Typos. Done on. Mobile. Tried to change it. Hope. You can. Make. Sense Jo it

8. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

No, it's really difficult.