1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

NPQH

Discussion in 'Headteachers' started by MrLock, Feb 23, 2011.

1. look in your trainee HT file at the appendix grid for graduation assessment- it splits the 6 areas of headship in to sub-sections.........they ask a question about each. I assume you have submitted all the relevant paperwork already?
    Good luck
    C

2. I am an early years leader applying for NPQH this round .Did you find that the Foundation Stage was covered well?
    How on earth did you manage to do it in 4 months-I was anticipating that it would take me 18 months- do you teach fulltime- I do- am I mad?
    Thanks any advice would be useful.
    Dawn

3. "it takes sheer determination, grit and massive time commitment to
    complete in 4 months- but it was my choice, one which I am pleased to
    have made. I knew I wanted to start applying for headship positions so
    needed to get NPQH asap- again, my choice. I was motivated to complete
    in 4 months, however many trainee HTs prefer to manage the workload
    differently. If you are 'not in a rush to complete another one'
    (course) then I would question whether you are ready to apply yet
    anyway if your motivation isn't quite there to persue HT appointment in
    the near future- the assessors will probably spot this in your
    application or on the 2 day assessment event. Good luck whatever you
    choose to do"

Interesting perspective. I interpreted this as you're pretty much saying that if I'm not like you it's not right for me.
    I'm interested in applying for Headships in about 12 months, depending on what is available. I have no interest in rushing myself either through the course, or into a role because it is a Headship. I'll be a Head, but it will be the right school for me to be able to have the most impact on. And I won't have the best/ most impact on a school if I rush through the course in 4 months.
    Thanks for your feedback.

4. I didn't 'rush through' the course (that could imply that it was insufficiently completed!)- I simply set a pace that suited me, my learning needs and goals. I suggest you choose a time frame which you find suitable and achieveable within your work and home context. That is the whole point in NCSL offering a <u>choice</u> of time frames- 4, 6 and 12 months- its personalised and flexible.
    If the course would be rushed if completed in 4 months then the 4 month route would not be available to those trainee headteachers who wish to choose it.
    Some people could interpret your comments as meaning that somehow the 4 month route is not robust or the course has not been completed to a sufficient level. Believe me, if this were the case I would have been unable to complete and submit the relevant paperwork, never mind pass the graduation interview.
    I have not made any judgements about you- if you interpreted my comment as meaning that if you were not like me then the course is not for you then I apologise unreservedly.

5. yes I teach - go for it!
    You are expected to complete in 12 months but can choose anytime between 4 and 12 months- whichever suits you really. In some cases people request longer (maternity leave, bereavement etc etc). I'm sure you will find a pace to suit you- good luck.

6. katycustard

katycustard Occasional commenter

I've just done the two day assessment and they must have forgotten to give me that piece of paper!

7. I never had to sign anything either.

8. Moisy

Moisy New commenter

Me neither!

9. cleggy1611

cleggy1611 New commenter

I have my graduation in July. I feel like a bit of a fraud because I haven't done anything for it yet. This is mainly because my ht won't release me for anything before sats. This means that my placement isn't until May when they recommend you do it near the start of the course. Not fretting though. Much.

10. cleggy1611

cleggy1611 New commenter

ps - do you think it looks badly if you haven't done much of the online stuff - I can't stand the NCSL website and have avoided it really.

11. I agree mabuhayka, I did the strategic financial management short course- worth it if you can commit to the time. My 'learning buddies' online were great to have discussions with.

12. As way of update: I've signed up for one online course over the summer and I have the first meeting with my coach on Monday.
    Tomorrow, I'm meeting the headteacher of a possible placement school.
    The induction day was quite simply the biggest waste of time I've ever experienced. I had read every slide they produced before the day, and I got them read to me over a whole day with the occasional "discuss for 5 minutes". Horrific.

13. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

I see nothing's changed, despite those of us who think the NPQH is **** being told we're moaners.

14. anon2799

anon2799 New commenter

I have a confession to make. I am a mentor head for NPQH. I've had a few students now and I've told each one exactly what I think of the whole programme. They're in agreement. It's a hoop to jump through.

15. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

As the thing does exist and it is still a requirement for intending heads, I think it's a good thing that good heads get involved in it - maybe they can make a difference to its quality.
    I was thinking about this crappy-sounding induction process described above and decided that any half-decent serving head could put together a really good induction day in about half an hour. The trouble with the NCSL is they've allowed too many of their courses to be run by people who aren't in the job and in many cases, never have been.