1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

NPQH

Discussion in 'Headteachers' started by MrLock, Feb 23, 2011.

1. So my application form was good enough and I passed the first stage. I'm quite reflective about that. Never wanted to be a senior leader, let alone a head - and now I passionately believe positive leadership can change schools more significantly than anything else, I'm looking forward to it.
    Does NPQH still have the same terrible reputation it had a few years ago?

2. So my application form was good enough and I passed the first stage. I'm quite reflective about that. Never wanted to be a senior leader, let alone a head - and now I passionately believe positive leadership can change schools more significantly than anything else, I'm looking forward to it.
    Does NPQH still have the same terrible reputation it had a few years ago?

3. nomad

nomad Star commenter

No, I don't think it does. Not since it has become a necessary qualification for headship. It has also undergone several iterations since its inception, and is not a more useful tool than it was at first.
    This is not to say that it is not one of the most patronising courses in existence, which it is along with Leading from the Middle, Leadership Pathways and the LPSH.
    I did not need to do NPQH, since my initial headship preceeded it by some ten years. However, I have undertaken LPSH (and what a total waste of space that was) and seen several members of staff through NPQH, LftM and LP.
    Before taking on headship I completed a Master's degree in Educational Management. Streets ahead of the NPQH and, to my mind, an ideal entry qualification for headship.
    It has been said that it is impossible to fail the NPQH course, since the country is short of headteacher aspirants and applicants. Go ahead and complete the course and feel proud of your achievements and aspirations for headship. However, once in place as a HT, you may wish to consider undertaking a Master's or similar course of study (such as an MBA) which carries some real weight rather than go for the LPSH.
    Good luck.

4. NPQH doesnt exist in Wales anymore. Estyn decided it wasn't preparing potential heads well enough. However, as yet there is nothing to replace it. There has been talk of completing some sort of leadership file of evidence but nothing concrete.
    I found NPQH outdated when I did it (in Wales). Nothing about revised 2008 curriculum, Foundation Phase or new inspection arrangemets. Quite good on vision and team building.

Good luck with the course anyway..if you are looking for a job in Wales, there will be plenty of them soon enough as we wont have anyone to apply for them!

5. Moisy

Moisy New commenter

Just been informed by email that I am also through the application stage....but I now wonder what I have let myself in for, reading some of the posts on here and the SMT page![​IMG]

6. NPQH is the teaching version of being turned into a cyberman.
    heart, soul and compassion is all removed.[​IMG]

7. Moisy

Moisy New commenter

My fears exactly, harchie!

8. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

Whilst I know many teachers who have underaken the NPQH and this has certainly not happened to them - they tend to be the ones who think it was pants.
    I do believe the cyberman assimilation thingy is the avowed intention of the course, however.

9. I have just completed the new NPQH (in 4 months), I have posted previously on this forum but please feel free to ask any questions..........

10. Moisy

Moisy New commenter

Hi, I have sent you a private message, crazylina

11. Oh Lord. A convert. Don't let him near the happy clappies for Gawd's sake.[​IMG]

Papermills gear up - you will be leading us out of the recession with the number of inishatifs about to be inishiated goin' forward.[​IMG]

12. mychuck

mychuck New commenter

I completed my NPQH in 2004 and was a 'fast-tracker' completing it in a few months. Whilst I would have hated to have spent any longer on the course material/training etc it was interesting to see who was putting themselves up for headship. I pity some poor schools!!
    The social aspect was good [my group anyway] and it did provide me with some time out of school to consider why I wanted to move to headship.
    My friend was so 'thrilled' with her NPQH training that on the second night of the residential she went into early labour!!

13. Moisy

Moisy New commenter

Oh no! Do I have to get pregnant now before my 2 day assessments!! [​IMG]

14. mychuck

mychuck New commenter

No...but you could have some fun trying!![​IMG]

15. Moisy

Moisy New commenter

hahaha-true! [​IMG]

16. Fun? what's that?
    its the first thing NPQH removes from you

17. Moisy

Moisy New commenter

Surely only if you let it, harchie?

18. it takes sheer determination, grit and massive time commitment to complete in 4 months- but it was my choice, one which I am pleased to have made. I knew I wanted to start applying for headship positions so needed to get NPQH asap- again, my choice. I was motivated to complete in 4 months, however many trainee HTs prefer to manage the workload differently. If you are 'not in a rush to complete another one' (course) then I would question whether you are ready to apply yet anyway if your motivation isn't quite there to persue HT appointment in the near future- the assessors will probably spot this in your application or on the 2 day assessment event. Good luck whatever you choose to do.

19. I completed mine about 5 years ago (fast track). I learnt two things....How to cross reference bits of paper and that I never wanted to be a head. I am still not a head and have no intention of ever being one. My colleague on the course also felt the same and she is still not a head!

20. Hi very interested to see you did the npqh in 4 months. I am due for final assessment in April. Can you kindly let me know what the final assessment consists of? Many thanks Wendy
    blanketyblank80@hotmail.co.uk