1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

NPQH- Yes or no?

Discussion in 'Headteachers' started by dizzymai, Dec 13, 2017.

Tags:
  1. dizzymai

dizzymai New commenter

Me again!

It's expensive. Is it a good course? Do Governors recognise its value? Is it worth the time and money? Does it equip you for the role more than not doing it?

You get my drift.

TIA

2. Startedin82

Startedin82 Established commenter

I did mine almost 20 years ago and I would say it was worth every penny. It really helped me prepare for headship and I obtained a headship just prior to final assessment. Bringing things to the present day, my Deputy and Assistant Head have both done it and found it very worthwhile - but hard work.

From a long term career prospect I would have thought you were better off having the NPQH than not.

3. mohawkvic

mohawkvic New commenter

I've just finished mine, tbh, i did it over a protracted time as I moved posts and had a baby in the middle, however, I would say that it is worthwhile and certainly made me reflect on myself and my leadership style. However, so did reading the Chimp Paradox, and Liminal Leadership... So... I would say yes, but also read these two books!

4. digoryvenn

digoryvenn Lead commenter

No I don't think it really prepares you for the realities of headship.
    The tasks you have to do, do not reflect all the 'other stuff'.
    It is not mandatory now anyway.

ViolaClef and Pomza like this.
  5. abacus1982

abacus1982 Established commenter

I personally have not done it. Speaking to other HTs when I've needed advice on "issues" which have cropped up this term none of them are covered in the NPQH!!

6. gwynfor12

gwynfor12 New commenter

I finished mine in 2013. It's like playing FIFA on the xbox before playing in a real cup final!

7. ViolaClef

ViolaClef Lead commenter

I don’t think it will make you a good Head. Personal characteristics, a vision and a wealth of teaching experience do that. I’ve worked with some Heads who had this qualification and they left much to be desired.

8. dizzymai

dizzymai New commenter

Thanks everyone. A very mixed response.....I am looking into it.

9. J.M.Powell

J.M.Powell New commenter

I’m just about to complete NPQH-just the face to face interview left to do. Is it worth doing? I’d say yes, but make sure you are clear about why you are doing it and that the time is right for you. You will need to have plenty of opportunities to lead (rather than manage) and sufficient authority to be able to demonstrate this.
    I first considered NPQH a few years ago when I was deputy in a small primary school, but I can see now that I would have found it extremely difficult to evidence all the standards at that point-I’m glad I waited. There were people doing NPQH who had limited experience, but they really stood out on courses as lacking a depth of understanding, and I wonder if they have managed to complete everything they needed to.
    Make sure your head is totally behind you, as without this support it will be hard to get every opportunity you need-it’s down to you to make sure you get all the experiences you need and some of these may be outside what you’d usually do.
    The placement in another school is a great opportunity, but it’s important to get your head round exactly what you need to be able to demonstrate from this when you come to write it up. The process of evidencing headteacher standards in a set format is frustrating and takes a LONG time to do properly. It’s hard to get a handle on exactly what is needed and this only really makes sense as you go along-I’m glad to be at the end of it! I know it’s not statutory, but now that I’ve done it I can appreciate that I have something worthwhile under my belt and I know it’s helped to equip me with additional skills just through forcing me to seize every opportunity going!
    Those who know you may well be confident in your ability to be a headteacher, but when you go to another setting where nobody knows you then the qualification will certainly help. If that’s your next step, then I’d definitely do it!

Anna Prior and beccagth like this.