1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

NPQH application

Discussion in 'Headteachers' started by lovely.lady, Feb 4, 2011.

1. lovely.lady

lovely.lady Occasional commenter

I'm an aspiring primary head and can't seem to locate the information that I require. Can I study for the NPQH whilst teaching overseas? I know that I will have to self-fund (that's not an issue) but I would like to think about applying very soon. If possible I would like to remain overseas so if there was an option for 'international headship' that also would be great - so if anyone knows please share.

Thanks

2. lovely.lady

lovely.lady Occasional commenter

I'm an aspiring primary head and can't seem to locate the information that I require. Can I study for the NPQH whilst teaching overseas? I know that I will have to self-fund (that's not an issue) but I would like to think about applying very soon. If possible I would like to remain overseas so if there was an option for 'international headship' that also would be great - so if anyone knows please share.

Thanks

3. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Yes. As NPQH has been redesigned to be completely personalised, there are fewer compulsory face-to-face elements. However, there are still some elements that must be completed face-to-face and for which you would need to travel to England. These are:
    • a two-day face-to-face development and assessment event, which is part of the process to assess your eligibility for the programme
    • a one-day introductory session, at which you will meet peers and find out more about the programme
    • a placement in another school of between 5 and 20 days, which could be taken across several months or as one continuous block of time. Placement schools will be accredited by the National College and will be maintained schools in England
    • a graduation assessment interview, at which you will present a portfolio of evidence to an assessment panel
    Please bear in mind that the College is only able to subsidise participants who are currently based in maintained schools in England, therefore you would need to pay the full cost of the provision, plus the cost of any travel incurred.

Taken from: http://www.nationalcollege.org.uk/index/professional-development/npqh/npqh-frequently-asked-questions.htm

4. katycustard

katycustard Occasional commenter

It will cost thousands, I looked into it last year when I was living in the Caribbean. Since I came back I got an Acting Headship, and have applied in the last round to do my NPQH. I should hear at the end of February if I am on the course or not. Unless you are near England, it really will be difficult to do it from abroad.