1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

NPQH application support

Discussion in 'Senior Leadership Team' started by kaitaz, Apr 11, 2012.

1. kaitaz

kaitaz New commenter

I have just started the process of applying for the NPQH and with the deadline of April 24th looming I have been looking for suggestions and hints on the best way to complete the form. I have read with interest some of the past replies posted to people asking for help. Some responses have been quite harsh, indicating that if applicants need support they aren't ready for headship. Whilst I agree in part with some of the comments I have been struck by the lack of camaraderie offered to new applicants, who like me, feel they are ready for the leap into headship but are not absolutely clear about what the form is asking for.

Taking a peek at a successfully completed form is a bit like looking at a well written AER or PEP form. Until you see a good one it is difficult to know what should be included. To me it isn't plagiarism as you cannot write down what you haven't done but it offers pointers - I haven't done that exactly but I did do this...

I am struggling to know exactly what to write to ensure progression onto the next stage, which is an interview. This section will be passed or failed entirely on the candidate's merit and those who have copied another's NPQH application form will surely be found out at this point. Therefore I respectfully request support, ideas, suggestions or a sneaky peek from anyone who has been through the process. If you don't agree then don't reply.

Thank you
    kaitaz30@hotmail.com

2. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

What you need to do is write it and then ask someone who has been successful to read and offer constructive criticism. Then, use their advice to re-write it.
    What you must definitely not do is ask to see someone else's. I know you asked for those disagreeing not to reply, but trust me - as you've also given your email address, you've already opened yourself up to software that does all kinds of things, including identifying who you are.

3. anon2799

anon2799 New commenter

I agree with Middlemarch entirely. You should write it and show it to someone whose judgement you trust. I'd also ask TES to remove your OP if I were you, because it contains your email.
    As an aside, if you don't like being told in no uncertain terms exactly what others think of you, even if you don't agree with them or it's not "fair" or kind, you might wish to reconsider your choice of career!

4. mrkeys

mrkeys Occasional commenter

One question that you will need to answer.
    Have you ever spent long enough in a school for your initiatives to have made a significant difference that can be measured over a number of years?
    A candidate who has jumped from school to school every two years would not rate highly in my humble opinion.

5. They've extended the deadline.

6. Doing the same myself and also finding it difficult to join the 'club'. Your respondents seem to dismiss the notion that there may be a 'right' way to fill in a form that isn't linked to competence. Such an argument suggests that while teachers operate within a system that is often arbitrary and ill-considered - sweeping changes to inspection frameworks, curricular hokey-cokeys, and the like - it is somehow disingenuous to seek to make sense of it all through constructive dialogue with peers. If i find anything of use about the NPQH i'll forward it to you. I thought that the notion of the charismatic 'Super Head' had been discredited in the light of experience...

7. Forgot to mention that the comment about covert/overt scrutiny of personal email correspondence has the sharp whiff of authoritarian all over it - not something that I would have thought educators should be entirely comfortable with - rendition, Zimbabwe, Cambodia, Stalin... Just some of the first ones to spring to mind.
    Similarly, I think one should tread more warily when making judgements of character - probably not a good idea to suggest that someone is thin skinned and making a poor career choice on the basis of a single email or a cursory reading of their blog biography?

8. Middlemarch

You appear to be assuming that warning someone about something is the same as doing it.
    There are two good reasons for never giving your personal email address on websites: (a) that it enables people to whom you might apply for a post or a position on a much sought-after course to see what you've been doing and (b) it enables software invented specifically for the purpose to generate all sorts of things using your email.
    As I said - warning someone about it is not the same as being 'authoritarian' etc as you describe. But if you're happy to paste your personal details over the internet, don't let me stop you.

9. Middlemarch

In that case, her request should have been to those willing to read her application and offer advice and constructive criticism.
    I maintain that asking to see others' applications is a bad idea.