1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Now what do I say?

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by Schoolbird, Dec 17, 2015.

1. Birdie64

Birdie64 Occasional commenter

ok...gotten out of previous post with agreed reference,settlement and got a new job, part time, temporary, but conditional on medical. Was completely honest this week when said form arrived via email...completed it and returned it. Here's my dilemma...today I am supposed to go to my new school to meet the children and i am concerned that they will feel that I wasn't honest with them about my situation. I took union advice -they said I was not obliged to mention my sickness (which ended at the end of October) and the question was never asked. I had explained that the situation at my previous school had been untenable, that I had stayed there too long, that I needed a change and that I needed to feel that I would fit in. I feel that I have been responsible in taking a part time post and it is only maternity cover so there is only a short term commitment on both our sides.

Do I say anything to the head? Will she have received the medical form already? What will happen now? I know that I am fit to work, the g.p. agrees, just not at that school anymore ... I wasn't medicated, I just needed to be away from that woman and have time to think. I've done that...I interviewed with a class of 32 mixed year group, 4 adults and a TA who works in the class, I had two interviews, one with the school council and one with the SLT and I was fine, no wobbles, no nerves, no anxiety. For myself I think that shows my capability...is that enough? I feel guilty that I didn't appraise of them of the full situation but the union advice ( and that of a barrister friend of mine) don't answer questions you haven't been asked...so I didn't.

Any thoughts?

Thanks again to all of you who have already been so supportive...

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Just go with the flow . . .

If you are asked, be very very brief and emphasise that it's all over and done with.

If you are not asked, say nothing. They are required to ensure Fitness to Teach. You are fit. That's that.

Enjoy the day, enjoy the holidays, enjoy starting that new job next year.

Best wishes for a peaceful Christmastide.

3. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

Go in, do your stuff, be honest when asked, otherwise try to chill.

Schoolbird likes this.
  4. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

You got the job on merit.

You are now well and will do a more than adequate job. Relax. Be proud. You have done all the right things and been brave. I salute you.

Schoolbird and marlin like this.
  5. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

WOW! You have been far more open than a great many people in the same situation.

They saw you teach and listened to you in interview. They saw your references and gained a degree of knowledge from them. They still chose to appoint you because they like what they saw.
    You have been totally honest on your medical form, leave it at that.

What the heck else would you tell them? They don't actually give a flying fig about your last post, nor why you left, nor what a so and so that head was.
    All they care about is: Will you be an asset to their school? They believe yes. You know yes. So go ahead and have a fab time. Keep reminding yourself that you are great and just enjoy the little steps to recovery.

I did the exact same thing last January, for the exact same reason. I stayed until July and then got my new post now, with a whole heap more confidence and happiness. I explained the gaps in employment by saying I took a few months out to relax and recharge and was honest about the sickness absence and the reason for it. That's all anyone has ever asked and all I've said. When you leave this temp post for a shiny new fab career choice post, you won't even need to use the nasty head's agreed reference. It really will all be over and gone.

Schoolbird, GLsghost and marlin like this.
  6. Birdie64

Birdie64 Occasional commenter

Thank you everyone - it was fine and I needn't have worried... all set a raring to go. I even knew a couple of the children from previous school who were thrilled to see me - as was their mum! I feel so much better now.

Thank you again everyone - this a fab support and I am so grateful that it exists.

Happy Christmas everyone.

7. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Well done!

You obviously did exactly what was needed, which is why it all went so well.

[​IMG]

Best wishes

Schoolbird likes this.