1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Now there's a turn up for the (wrong) book!

Discussion in 'Personal' started by nomad, May 17, 2019.

1. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Also had the experience with science where the answer sheets didn't match the question papers. That was the exam boards **** up and wasn't spotted until the kids tried to answer the first question!

2. peakster

peakster Star commenter

I think what is probably more common (or used to be) is teachers doing incorrect coursework. We've had that recently in one subject and it has basically cost a teacher their job.

3. CheeseMongler

CheeseMongler Lead commenter

So did "Spies" appear on old specifications? Or a different exam board's? I could understand a mistake of omission, if a teacher or entire department had not noticed something on a new spec, but seeing something on a new spec that wasn't there...

Also, I'm cynical that the school only realised their error when the students actually sat down to the exam. Surely someone picked something up during revision/mocks etc. However if they realised earlier, say in February, I doubt the exam board would give the students special consideration would they?

4. peakster

peakster Star commenter

As they are from a private school - the answer is probably yes.

I think there is more to this story than meets the eye.

5. mothorchid

mothorchid Star commenter

I have known this happen - an HoD, whose wife was dying of cancer, taught "Richard III" at A level Lit, because it had been on the syllabus for three or four years, and he knew the play. In fact, it had been dropped and the school only realised what had happened in April of yr 13. So we rang the exam board who sent special questions for the exam and all was well. It happens.
    A few years ago, the Speaking & Listening coursework element of 20% was dropped from the English GCSE in the middle of the two year course, after many schools had spent several weeks or months covering it. I am sure many English teachers will remember this happening.
    It's not good, but the exam board will deal with it. I suspect that if it had been in a straightforward state school of some sort, it wouldn't have made the news. Twitter and Mumsnet, yes, but the main media, no.
    Poor kids. It must have been a Bad Moment.

6. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

Maybe the problem would be less frequent if private schools only hired qualified teachers?

ajrowing and mothorchid like this.
  7. peakster

peakster Star commenter

People do tend to forget that many private school staff are NOT qualified teachers

Some of them are genuinely nuts as well - last year I was at a Science event with teachers from a number of state schools when a female member of staff from a well known local private school walked into the room we were in. There were a number of chairs to sit on but nowhere to hang coats so most of the other teachers had just dropped their coats onto the nearest chair.

There were no spare chairs - this lady walked up and down for a bit looking for somewhere to sit. Rather than just ask the nearest person if they wouldn't mind moving their coat or something she simply threw three or four people's coats on the floor. Put her own coat on one of them, her massive bag on another and plonked herself on a third chair.

No word - or apology - she got up to get a book out of her bag and then sat down again - she didn't say a word to anyone or acknowledge any of the other teachers as they gathered their coats off the floor.

ajrowing likes this.
  8. thecagedbird

thecagedbird New commenter

Yes, Spies was on the syllabus last year. Both last years spec and this years spec are on the website. Anyone who looked carefully would spot it had changed. But iGCSE change texts more frequently than GCSE and I guess they just assumed it was ok as they’d taught it the previous year.

Feel sorry for both the teachers and students involved.

CheeseMongler and bombaysapphire like this.
  9. Mrs Goatstrangler

Mrs Goatstrangler New commenter

I’ve worked in a school that has a one-form entry for 17 yrs, so I’ve always had the responsibility of making sure the GCSE specs are implemented. The easiest way in is to look at the sample papers - the questions obviously indicate which texts the awarding body is offering. Never mind HoDs or exam officers - it’s easy for a classroom teacher to work it out for themselves. It’s appalling that a school charging eye-watering fees should make such a massive **** up.