1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Now that the frameworks are a dim and distant memory...

Discussion in 'Primary' started by nick909, Jan 31, 2012.

1. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

...can we all agree to stop calling them literacy and numeracy now? And just call them English and maths, which is all they've ever been in the NC?
    I stopped using the silly words a few years back, but I'm alone in my school and feel like I'm fighting a losing battle.
    Takes a good few weeks of training with a new class in September. Blank looks when I ask them to get their English books out for a good while.
    Am I being unnecessarily pedantic or do others feel this way?

2. cariad2

cariad2 New commenter

I've always called them English and Maths. I hate the words literacy and numeracy, except in the original pre-strategy sense of the words eg talking about literacy rates in different parts of the world.
    When we teach English and Maths, we are teaching children far more than just to be functionally literate and numerate.

3. hpblossom

hpblossom New commenter

I have stubbornly always called them English and Maths too (even though my jobshare partner equally stubbornly calls them Literacy and Numeracy).

4. I dont give two hoots what it's called - I know what I mean, as do the children and everybody else.
    I say Literacy and Numeracy purely out of habit.

5. Andrew Jeffrey

Andrew Jeffrey New commenter

I think we went with 'Numeracy' when the National Numeracy Strategy was introduced in the 1990s, but this was never the intention - the NNS was intended to help teachers with a consistent approach to teaching the numeracy aspects of the mathematics curriculum; I think that most schools I talk to have switched back now.
    To my mind, calling mathematics 'numeracy' was a little like calling geography 'maps'; they are a big part of it, but not the essence - perhaps 'people and places' would have been better. So yes, a switch back to 'maths' definitely gets my vote,but as mpulce quite rightly implies, as long as we know that we mean more than 'sums' when we say 'maths', the world will keep spinning!