1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Now it's the UNIONS' fault there's a teacher shortage!

Discussion in 'Education news' started by chelsea2, Feb 10, 2016.

1. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

Well - I've heard it all now! It's the Unions which are being negative about teaching & putting people off becoming teachers. Nothing to do with constant teacher-bashing from the Government & OFSTED. And they're still missing the real problem - not recruitment, but retention of experienced, good teachers. (Bold emphases are mine)

'Teacher shortages in England are growing and the government has missed recruitment targets for four years, the official spending watchdog has said.
    It means 28% of secondary physics lessons are taught by teachers with no more than an A-level in the subject, the National Audit Office report says.
    Ministers have a "weak understanding" of local teacher shortages, it adds.

The government said overall teacher numbers had risen and blamed unions for "talking down" the profession.

While the overall number of teachers has kept pace with rising pupil numbers, teacher shortages are growing, particularly in poorer areas and at secondary level, according to the authors.
    More than half (54%) of head teachers in schools with large proportions of disadvantaged pupils find attracting and keeping good teachers is "a major problem", compared with a third (33%) of those in other schools, they found.
    The Department for Education "has a weak understanding of the extent of local teacher supply shortages and whether they are being resolved", the report said.
    "The department takes a national approach to recruitment but has more to do to understand important local and regional issues."
    In secondary schools, more classes are being taught by teachers without a relevant post-A-level qualification in the subject, it added.
    Across all secondary subjects, 14 out of 17 had unfilled training places this year, compared with just two subjects five years ago.
    Government policy to broaden the range of training routes has proved "confusing" for both training providers and applicants and could "discourage potential applicants," the report warned.
    It added that the government spends £700m a year on recruiting and training new teachers but has missed its own targets by an increasing margin every year since 2012.
    "Until the department meets its targets and can show how its approach is improving trainee recruitment, quality and retention, we cannot conclude that the arrangements for training new teachers are value for money," said NAO head Amyas Morse.
    National Union of Teachers general secretary Christine Blower called the figures "a sad indictment" of government education policy.
    "Unless government radically tackles the pay, workload and excessive accountability that teachers currently suffer, this is a situation that will get increasingly worse," said Ms Blower.
    "The acute difficulties recruiting in maths, English, science and languages are now extending to most other areas of the curriculum," said Malcolm Trobe, interim general secretary of the Association of School and College Leaders.
    National Association of Head Teachers general secretary Russell Hobby warned of "a significant difference between official statistics and the perceptions of those in schools.
    "We'd welcome the opportunity to sit down formally with the DfE... but as yet, they're not willing to acknowledge the scale of the problem."
    Labour's shadow education secretary Lucy Powell called the report "a further wake-up call for the Tory government who have been in denial and neglectful about teacher shortages".

'Negative picture'
    A Department for Education spokeswoman said the report made clear "that despite rising pupil numbers and the challenge of a competitive jobs market, more people are entering the teaching profession than leaving it, there are more teachers overall and the number of teachers per pupil hasn't suffered".

"Indeed the biggest threat to teacher recruitment is that the teaching unions and others, use every opportunity to talk down teaching as a profession, continually painting a negative picture of England's schools.

"The reality on the ground couldn't be more different, with the quality of education in this country having been transformed by the most highly qualified teaching workforce in history, resulting in 1.4 million more pupils being taught in good and outstanding schools compared with five years ago.
    "But we refuse to be complacent," said the spokeswoman, who said the government was "investing hundreds of millions in teacher recruitment".'

2. old_dobbin

old_dobbin Occasional commenter

So the DfE "refuse to be complacent", implying that they would be justified if they were complacent, because everything is so rosy and wonderful in schools.
    I have a suggestion: check the A level grades of the teachers without degrees in the subjects they are teaching , for example for Physics. I wonder how many of them have D or E grades.

3. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

It's the government trying to spin themselves out of a crisis they have created for themselves.

This isn't a new thing... it only began after 2010. And now we have the consequences of poorly thought out policy.

4. Maths_Shed

Maths_Shed Occasional commenter

Teachers unions to blame for this, BMA to blame for NHS crisis, .......

5. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

Aaah - of course! :rolleyes:

6. Kamit

Kamit New commenter

Imagine, just imagine that Teach First could produce teachers at a vastly lower cost and who stayed longer in the profession. It would be trumpeted from on high about how this private-sector savvy was showing the antiquated state how to get things done.
    Actually it turns out Teach First is by far the most expensive option and they have by far the worst retention rates. Yet the government funnel lots of money to them. Run by an ex-Gove advisor.

Middlemarch likes this.
  7. rosievoice

rosievoice Star commenter

It's all a dastardly plot by the teaching unions.

Their aim in "talking down" the teaching profession is to reach the point when nobody applies for any form of teaching qualification, for existing union members to resign from their schools, and for all the teaching unions to then collapse for lack of membership, and for the reps to be out of work. Yes, that's what exactly what they want. o_O

8. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

Today's puzzle: guess where I am at this very moment...

*Clue - it's not the top of our stairs...

Benbamboo, Lara mfl 05 and wanet like this.
  9. Compassman

Compassman Star commenter

I wondered who it was at the bottom of those stairs?!

Blaming the unions is just classic buck passing. It would be funny if it wasn't so serious.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  10. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

Come on, at least we're getting our taxpayers' money's worth out of the civil servants paid shedloads just to think up excuses.

11. secretsiren

secretsiren Star commenter

I read the article this morning, got to the DfE statement and actually spat coffee everywhere. Unbelievable tripe and buck-passing from them yet again. They clearly know diddly about teachers, teaching, the unions, or in fact anything at all to do with education.
    1) There is a population spike coming over the horizon which means more teachers will be needed.
    2) There has been a huge increase (11% I think) in people quitting teaching in the last few years alone.
    3) We're up to 55,000 teachers A YEAR leaving the classroom and not enough are coming back to fill the gaps.
    4) There has been a shortage of trainees for years.
    5) Someone - everyone, in fact - at the DfE should be fired for not doing their jobs properly. It isn't that difficult to work out why people are leaving in droves: it's not a good job to do anymore. And it's not my union telling me that, it's my family, friends, GP and the little bottle of anti-anxiety medicine I take every day because of the enormous amount of stress.

12. TCSC47

TCSC47 Star commenter

It beggars belief! They (the Nasty Party in this case) are just so bare faced hypocritical!

13. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

Spot on!

Compassman likes this.
  14. vinnie24

vinnie24 Lead commenter

15. Compassman

Compassman Star commenter

Good old Daily Hate getting an immigrant story out of anything they can!

16. Yoda-

Yoda- Lead commenter

It's the Teacher Unions fault. That explains everything then. Problem solved?

images-12.jpg

17. JohnJCazorla

JohnJCazorla Star commenter

As a Union Rep I'm just glad that someone is actually listening to the Unions.

18. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

Pity it's not the Government!