1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Now I remember why I hate supply

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by Ostpreussen, Mar 8, 2012.

1. Still, what a k-nob! To utter something like this to you! Take it from me - you are worth infinitely more than this sanctamonious piece of shi-te who dishes out absurd unjust judgements like hot school meals.
    I thank the stars that you can see this man(?) for what he was. Such comments can be v. damaging and scarring. Some things are better thought about than uttered out aloud.
    But what really was the point in his totally unprofessional and unkind deliverance?
    What was it supposed to achieve?
    Take it from me - I would rather be a "Supply-Nobody" with integrity and self-worth than a jumped up Audi-TT driver who swivels round at their desk all day and believes their own publicity.
    Hope you had a sufficient retort to his comment!

2. It was when I phoned up for some feedback for a job I'd applied for but hadn't been interviewed for. He was looking for somebody special and it obviously wasn't me. There was nothing special about me at all.
    I've noted down all the feedback I've got over the years just in case it might come in useful.
    I'm in the habit of writing lots of stuff down.

3. He was looking for somebody special and it obviously wasn't me. There was nothing special about me at all.

~So, did he actually say you were a "Nobody". or is that your interpretation because he did not deem you as "special"?
    The two are quite different.

4. They mean the same as part of a conservation. ha said he was looking for someone special and also said, "you're a nobody."

Apparently, because of my poor qualifications and having come late to the profession.

5. You have to put these things in perspective. Teachers generally regard themselves as people with a 'calling'. It's hardly surprising for them to be suspicious and hostile to people who have come late to the profession and expect to be treated the same.
    I'm guessing that someone applying for a teaching job who was previously running a business is probably seen as an interloper, a chancer, a grafter, someone who will probably leave when the economy gets better.

6. les25paul

les25paul Star commenter

What this sad little man has failed to realise is that those who have come late to the profession is because they have worked for many years in a world outside of teaching. Its because of this they have a lot to offer and a better understanding of how their subject fits in with the "real world". This is not the "Ofsted" world of GCSE grades E to A (in the real world anything less then a C is a fail) and where "satisfactory" means poor (in the real world satisfactory means satisfactory).
    I'm happy to acknowledge that many excellent teachers have never left the Education path, ie: school, university, PGCE then straight into teaching but when twits like this think its the only path or you are a "nobody" then frankly I start to lose faith in the profession. (thankfully I believe he is in the minority).
    "poor qualifications" What did the fool mean by this? You had a degree and teaching qualification didn't you? What else did he want you to have, a Blue Peter badge?

7. The guy was a sometime maths teacher who loves himself?

8. Just a 2/1, MSc and a few other postgrad things I've picked up, and the PGCE of course.An issue may be that from a management experience point of view you may appear on more equal terms, when you're supposed to be their junior. I never had any interesting in management in teaching.

9. Perhaps in the "good old days", mature PGCEs were well respected and had lots to offer a once noble "profession" but what with academy heads, "executive" heads, business managers and culture, CSs, TAs of varying descriptions, is the excellent classroom practitioner well respected by and popular with pupils revered anymore?

10. Whoa there cowboy..... have a look at the bigger picture.

Life is full of jumped up pr!cks. Some of them have big fast cars and a big office which overlooks the river. It doesn't mean that how they got there, or how effective they are is relevant.

The biggest lesson of supply is:- "Take everyone and everything with a big pinch of salt, then take a deep breath"

11. Mrs-Pip

Mrs-Pip New commenter

And then go home forget about it and have a nice pint of [​IMG]!