1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Now I know Prince William is 2nd in line but ...

Discussion in 'Personal' started by ResourceFinder, Apr 29, 2011.

1. ...

If charles dies before the Queen does Prince Andrew then become heir apparent as the eldest living son of the reigning monarch?

2. Yes although the Queen can name an Heir and would likely name William.

3. You're making my head hurt! I've just read the other thread about Kate's title and I'm totally confused - and realise just how little I know about how our monarchy works!

4. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

Surely Not!.
    William would become Heir Apparent as he is the eldest son of the eldest son. Andrew would only become next in line if Charles had no sons

5. lrw22

lrw22 Senior commenter

Not if the Charles dies before the queen.

6. I do not think so ... but am willing to be convinced

7. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

Here's the current Order of Succession ( cut and pasted from Wikipedia so apologies for formatting!)

Current monarch: HM Queen Elizabeth II (born 1926)
    [​IMG][*] HRH The Prince of Wales (Prince Charles, b 1948) B D[*] HRH Prince William of Wales (b 1982) B D[*] HRH Prince Henry of Wales (b 1984) B D[*] HRH The Duke of York (Prince Andrew, b 1960) B D[*] HRH Princess Beatrice of York (b 1988) B D[*] HRH Princess Eugenie of York (b 1990) B D[*] HRH The Earl of Wessex (Prince Edward, b 1964) B D[*] Viscount Severn (James, b 2007) B D[*] The Lady Louise Windsor (b 2003) B D[*] HRH The Princess Royal (Princess Anne, b 1950) B D[*] Peter Phillips (b 1977) B D[*] Savannah Phillips (b 2010) D[*] Zara Phillips (b 1981) B D

8. doomzebra

doomzebra Occasional commenter

No, William, as heir presumptive, would become heir apparent. Semi-salic law applies

9. It is called Prima Verity isnt it.
    I am not sure but I think it would move to Andrew and if they both died onto Edward.

10. I think I agree with you Carrie!

11. Goes to look it up [​IMG]

12. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

Now, now! Not today please[​IMG]

13. I stand corrected!
    this is from wiki too!
    In a hereditary system governed by some form of primogeniture, an heir apparent is easily identifiable as the person whose position as first in the line of succession is secure, regardless of future births. An heir presumptive, by contrast, can always be "bumped down" in the succession by the birth of somebody more closely related in a legal sense (according to that form of primogeniture) to the current title-holder.
    The clearest example occurs in the case of a title-holder with no children. If at any time they produce children, they (the offspring of the title-holder) rank ahead of whatever more "distant" relative (the title-holder's sibling, perhaps, or a nephew or cousin) previously was heir presumptive.

14. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

Honestly, don't they teach english history these days! You only have to look at the line of succession to see that it is the line from the eldest son which take precedence over any younger branches!

15. not sure what that is, but the succession is determined by the Bill of Rights (1689) and the Act of Settlement (1701).

16. Carrie

The line of succession is not set in stone ... it can be altered by births and deaths

Having checked the title "Heir Presumptive" the indication is that this can be lost through births or deaths

So I am still unsure

17. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

Of course the line of succession can be altered by births and deaths, but William's place after Charles can only be affected if an elder legitimate child of Charles turns up! By contrast, Edward is currently after William in order of succession, but as soon as William has a child, he will move down a place, and so will everyone else under him

18. This is correct until William has a child then that child will go between William and Harry

19. Ok

Thanks for the info