1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Now here's a thing...

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Duke of York, Oct 24, 2018.

1. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

Something I was listening to recently, mentioned handwriting experts being able to trace the movements around Europe of a suspected spy from the hotel cards she'd signed under the various aliases she went by. This was in the context of tracing the identity of a body found in Norway in the 70s. The case was suddenly closed by the police, for no obvious reason, but has recently been reopened, following investigative journalism and modern forensic techniques that didn't exist at the time of the original investigation.

It seems that using modern handwriting expertise, it's possible to locate the part of the world the dead person was educated, or at least taught how to write. Who would have thought that?

I wouldn't have, but then again, my sweetheart has the most distinctive, stylised handwriting I have ever encountered. It's as neat as a bagful of neat things, but has unusual tweaks to the characters. The same tweaks appear on everything she writes, whether it's a quick, angry note to tell me my dinner is in the dog when I roll home late, or on a cheque she wrote out and awaits my signature.

I'm fascinated where she learned how to write the way she does and who taught her to do it that way. I'm well aware that kids play around with handwriting. I did so myself, but then I dropped all the playing around when I grew up and reverted back to the way I'd been taught.

Maybe in time, with the aid of computer technology, it will be possible to identify an individual's handwriting back to the teacher who taught the kid how to write?

How will you feel about being knocked up by the police at three o'clock in the morning because they'd traced some handwriting of a kid you taught who became a terrorist back to your lessons twenty years ago and asked you to identify who he is, before he blows the government up?

How long do you think you could keep the police waiting while you scratch your head?

2. Ivartheboneless

Ivartheboneless Star commenter

I read that handwriting analysis was bunk, because the writer can easily disguise how they write.

3. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

My handwriting has changed, by my choice, several times in my life. My natural style is round and consists of anticlockwise loops.

Following my age 10-13 devouring of English female novelists of the 19th century, I forced it into what I hoped looked like Victorian Slopy Spider by using an Italic fountain pen.
    I had a friend whose style I hugely admired and mistakenly emulated in many ways by the time I was 18. She wrote Spiky. It looked intellectual. I wrote Spiky until the sheer volume of writing I had to do at Uni (you bloody kids with your bloody word processors) made me revert to my natural springy spirals.

I handwrite so little now my handwriting doesn't flow naturally. It's a jerky pale imitation and often misses Is and R's. I go back and put them in and it just makes it look worse. I don't know how I have the brass neck to criticise this phone's predictive text for making my communications look like drivel!

Spose it depends which of my many crimes over the decades they pick up on if they catch me by handwriting.

4. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

Isn't it graphology that was debunked, the idea that you can tell people's character and personality from their handwriting? Not whether you can identify 2 bits of writing as having been written by the same person?

monicabilongame likes this.