1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

November Resit Grade Improvement?

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by mathsnmusic, Sep 1, 2019.

1. mathsnmusic

mathsnmusic New commenter

Does any know where I can find any statistics on how much students' grades improve (or not) between the summer GCSE Maths exam and the November resit. i.e. 10% improve by 1 grade, 20% by 2 grades etc.

Thanks

2. strawbs

strawbs Established commenter

3. mathsnmusic

mathsnmusic New commenter

A little but, but not really. Interesting stuff though, many thanks

4. gainly

gainly Lead commenter

I was trying to find this same information recently but without success. Maybe it's not something anyone has analysed.

5. Ezioclone

Ezioclone New commenter

I think your estimates are WAY off. [in the sense that more/most students improve by more than one grade]
    A small percentage (~10%) may improve by one grade. A much, much smaller percentage will improve by two grades. These students will only ever be those that were seriously ill / absent during their previous test - it will never be a genuine degree of mathematical progress.

Very many Maths depts are forced (by SLT, parental and/student pressure) to re-enter students knowing full well they have no chance of improving their grade. Unless they were extremely close to the next grade on their last effort, they stand almost no chance of doing better given the long, and probably very lazy summer holiday they’ve had. SLT are included in those that little idea how quickly Maths knowledge evaporates (especially in disinterested students) when students believe/hope they’ve finished the subject for good.

6. gainly

gainly Lead commenter

Surely most students are resitting because it is government policy that they have to resit maths and English GCSE if they got a grade 3. If they got grade 2 or lower they can either resit GCSE or take functional skills but they can't drop maths entirely.

7. jcstev

jcstev New commenter

Government policy, enforced through funding: if a post-16 student has below a 4 in either Maths or English (OR both) and isn't resitting GCSE/doing Functional Skills, the school/college receives no funding for that student. So SLT have no choice - no resit means no money to pay the teachers of the student's other courses.

8. frustum

frustum Star commenter

Do they have to do the November resit? Is the problem convincing management that some students will need more than two months to make the grade? However, I guess they will always get entered in November regardless, because if some of them fluke through then there are fewer to be taught for the rest of the year.

9. adamcreen

adamcreen Occasional commenter

Up to a point, Lords Gainly and Frustum. They don't have to resit. They have to be *studying* Maths, but there's no requirement for them to take the exam. So a student could do remedial Maths each week for 2 years before resitting, they don't have to do it in Year 12 or November at all.

10. gainly

gainly Lead commenter

Lords? If I had a spare half million quid I'm sure I could find a better use for it than buying a seat in the house of lords.

frustum and adamcreen like this.