1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Novels on the theme of growing up

Discussion in 'English' started by insegnanteinglese, Jul 19, 2011.

1. Hi, anyone have any good suggestions for novels on the theme of growing up? It is for a Year 12 class and can't be too lengthy as we don't have a lot of time to devote to it. We're considering Catcher in the Rye and To Kill a Mockingbird but just wondered whether anyone has any other suggestions. Thanks in advance for your help!

2. Hi, anyone have any good suggestions for novels on the theme of growing up? It is for a Year 12 class and can't be too lengthy as we don't have a lot of time to devote to it. We're considering Catcher in the Rye and To Kill a Mockingbird but just wondered whether anyone has any other suggestions. Thanks in advance for your help!

3. why not peter pan? it's actually a fairly short book with lots to discuss- my year 12 group also looked at Harry Potter for a while. Kid's books tend to be over looked but there are some really nice ideas. Phillip Pulman's Lyra novels- His Dark Materials Trilogy- are also great. Beka Lamb is the debut novel from Belizean writer Zee Edgell- another theme of growing up!

Soxy xx

4. Starship Troopers.
    Brideshead Revisited.
    (|Very, very different these, but both to do with a young man entering the adult world).
    Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man.
    This is an rather more difficult work than the other two.

5. Hmmn - I think these are obviously good novels but have been (and still are) long associated with GCSE - here are some ideas:

Some of James Joyce's 'Dubliners' stories
    'Frankie and Stankie' Barbara Trapido (very interesting - not too long)
    'Frost in May' Antonia Fraser
    'The Virgin Suicides' Jeffrey Eugenides (short and good)
    'The Little Friend' Donna Tartt (riveting but long)
    'The Secret History' Donna Tartt
    'Lolita' Vladimir Nobokov
    'Never Let Me Go' Kazuo Ishiguro (could work well and DVD out - not long)
    'The Magic Toyshop' Angela Carter
    'Go Tell it on the Mountain' James Baldwin
    'The Book Thief' Markus Zusak
    'The Road' Cormac McCarthy (short)
    'A Thousand Splendid Suns' Khaled Hosseini (excellent and not long)
    ('Before I Fall' Lauren Oliver/ 'The Lovely Bones' Alice Sebold)
    'Blacklands' Belinda Bauer
    Plays - 'The History Boys' Alan Bennett + 'Tusk Tusk' Polly Stenham + 'The Children's Hour' Lillian Hellman + 'Spring Awakening' Frank Wedekind
    'The God of Small Things' Arundhati Roy
    'The Wasp Factory' Iain Banks (could work well and short)
    'Rite of Passage' Alexei Panshin
    'Great Expectations' Charles Dickens
    'Trainspotting' Irvine Walsh
    'The Color Purple' Alice Walker
    'The Kite Runner' Khaled Hosseini (very good/ powerful and short - film too)
    'Brighton Rock' Graham Greene
    'I'm the King of the Castle' Susan Hill
    'Where are You Going, Where have You been?' Joyce Carol Oates
    'Cat's Eye' Margaret Atwood (well written book; good for this level)
    'My Sister My Love' Joyce Carol Oates * (compelling - based on the JonBenet murder)
    'When God was a Rabit' Sarah Winman
    'Atonement' Ian McEwan

6. Year 12? I think these are great books but not for Lit study at this level - you might get away with it if they are text<u>S</u> used for inspiration for creative writing but even then you might be pushing it. That is why some of the boards have tightened up and ask you to submit texts for approval in advance. The texts I have put on my list in brackets could fall into this category. Some of the boards were amazed to find the 'Twilight' series (again fab in its own right but not at this stage) being used.

7. Exactly what we did. Texts were approved, and worked for us but see your point.

8. Thanks for all the excellent suggestions, I've ordered some of the texts to have a read over the summer. Just got to decide which will be best for the students we have and the amount of time we have to devote to it.

9. "Spies" by Micheal Frayn...although I wouldn't wish it upon my worst enemy.