1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Novels for KS2 and KS3

Discussion in 'English' started by How We Laughed, Jul 5, 2006.

1. Do you think it would be useful to list what texts we use with what year groups?

I've been 'inspired' by seeing primary colleagues wanting to teach books I know secondary are using.

Year 7 - 2 weeks with the queen; pig heart boy; skellig

Year 8 - king of shadows; holes

year 9 - buddy; stone cold; the outsiders

Can't remember what else but will get back to you when reminded myself

2. Do you think it would be useful to list what texts we use with what year groups?

I've been 'inspired' by seeing primary colleagues wanting to teach books I know secondary are using.

Year 7 - 2 weeks with the queen; pig heart boy; skellig

Year 8 - king of shadows; holes

year 9 - buddy; stone cold; the outsiders

Can't remember what else but will get back to you when reminded myself

3. EmmaBB

EmmaBB New commenter

Year 7 - as above and Ghost behind the Wall, Monster Garden, Millions.

Year 8 - Holes, Anne Frank, 2 weeks with the queen, Wolf Brother - hopefully, Private Peaceful.

Year 9 - Stone Cold, Brother In the Land, Lord of the Flies.

4. 7- Thomas Kempe, Boy, Skellig, Billy the Kid, Harry Potter (1), Private Peaceful, Out from Boneville (graphic novel), Voices in the Park (Picture book), Pre 1914: Creating Atmosphere (From Tales from Other Times) or intro to Shakespeare.

8- Holes, The Machine Gunners, The Speckled Band, Witch Child, Two Weeks With The Queen, Heaven Eyes, Pre 1914 Literature: Wuthering Heights extracts (From Tales from Other Times) or Extracts from Shakespeare

9- Stargirl, Across The Barricades, Animal Farm, Stone Cold, Junk, Coram Boy, Short Story (e.g. ?The Darkness Out There?).

5. Lumpy

We've moved Thomas Kempe and Machine Gunners down for primary staff to use.

6. How We Laughed... sounds like a good idea, but we can't afford to replace them with others at the moment.

7. The usual, plus...

Point Blank with lower ability 7

Private Peaceful middle- 8
    Wolf- middle 8
    Inventing Elliot- middle 8
    Across the Nightingale Floor- top 8
    Chinese Cinderella - top 8

Would be keen to know any suggestions for 9

8. Yr 7: Boy; Why the Wales Came; Skellig; Beowulf; Tales from Canterbury; The Hobbit; Private Peaceful; Forty Favourite Poems; Thursday's Child; Black Harvest; Great Expectations (playscript)

Yr 8: Carrie's War; Holes; Red Sky in the Morning; Granny was a Buffer Girl; Jane Eyre; King of Shadows; Introduction to Shakespeare

Yr 9: Witch Child; Millions; Daz 4 Zoe; King of Shadows; Pygmalion; Of Mice and Men

Have lost 'Goodnight Mr Tom', 'Mrs Frisby' and 'Back Home' to Year 6...

Maud

9. Actually, think we use 'Millions' with Yr 7! Blame the heat...

maud

10. Lumpy

Compkletely understand where you're coming from. We can't afford it either [deficit budget has resulted in 8 redundancies this term] but primary staff used the books and we ended up not being able to.

The money issues is why I get 'tetchy' when primary colleagues use KS3 books. Lack of money means redundancies for us. Can't afford to waste a penny

But also understand their predicament....hence this thread :eek:)

Shame no primary colleagues have contributed yet

11. tafkam

tafkam Occasional commenter

Only have Y7 - we use Private Peaceful & Buddy.

12. jlo

jlo New commenter

Speaking from KS2 point of view
    The machine Gunners
    Anna's War
    Carrie's War
    Blitzed
    Jonny and the Bomb
    (Lots of these would be used if WW2 is taught in upper primary)
    We also have to teach a Shakespeare play (yr 6 term 1 NLS)

13. We use "your" books because we are expected to stretch and reach level 5 readers. I use Goodnight Mr Tom across my year 6 group and Pig Heart Boy with my G&T group. I would also like to use Holes but know it is used at our feed school in year 8.
    The problem is that we want to broaden our readers through the topics we teach eg Children in WWII and Goodnight is by far the best, Pig Heart Boy matches a PSHE topic on organ donation. Secondary english stands alone we have to make links across the curriculum to fit everything in.

14. Not sure I used a term to suggest they were 'our' books. We're guided by LEA and Library research into what's good for what AGE groups, as well as levels.

I appreciate the difficulties in finding suitable texts. That's why I opened this thread on here and in Primary.

2 posts contributed in primary.

15. It was Maudthecats phrase about losing books to primary that led to the 'your' term.

16. I'll tell you something - this 'us and them' attitude displayed by some primary colleagues is irritating. Why not follow the suggestion made? Talk to your secondary school - see yourself as a part of a team rather than a rival for goodness sake.

17. in my original post I stated that I had communicated with our feed school!

18. But where's maudthecats comment? It's not on this thread!

19. Post 7

20. Actually just re read mauds list and see that 'Carries war' is a year 8 text but Scholastic and a new primary ICT resource (can't remember its name) both produce resources for primary use of it
    This is where some of the problems arise, publishers produce resources for the same text for both primary and secondary.