1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

novels and stories by significant authors- books to use?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Cez24, Sep 6, 2009.

1. Cez24

Cez24 New commenter

Hi,
    Has anyone taught this unit before to year 5/6? Seems a good one to start the new year with. Just wondering what authors to focus on, can anyone recommend a good book to read to class throughout the unit and study?
    We have done Dick King Smith and Roald Dahl to death before- was thinking Lemony Snicket? But dont think there is a short story to read with this? It suggests reading a short story to compare with other versions by same author.
    Any ideas?

2. I wouldn't chose Lemony Snicket; it's a pen name and The Series of Unfortunate events doesn't offer any diversity. The following would count as significant and you coan find books and stories to suit a range of interests and abilities:
    Michael Morpurgo
    Berlie Doherty
    Geraldine McCaughrean
    Author illustrators who have dones some interesting work for this age group could be used as well:
    Anthony Browne
    Shaun Tan

3. JK Rowling and the Harry Potter books are great to use for this unit

4. Cez24

Cez24 New commenter

thanks for that, you've reminded me of some good authors. I've just come back fm holiday and feel so weird now- brain has gone to sleep!
    Harry Potter tho- can't imagine getting through a whole one of these! Is there much variety in them? Do you know the names of any other stories from JK? Any short stories?

5. You dont have to get through the whole thing, you can pick and choose extracts to illustrate points. Its also quite possible to compare the series within itself. But i have seen some shorter stories by JK in bookshops, I cant remember the names though, I think they are still linked to Harry Potter.

6. Minkuelle1

Minkuelle1 New commenter

I have got to do this unit in na couple of weeks- all these are good authors to do but my question would be what if you had an SEN class where most of the chn's reading ages are a lot lower than the likes of Roald Dahl, JK Rowling etc? My SEn group are on Oxford Reading Stage 4-11 so what author would you recommend for these?

7. Hi,
    I am just about to start this unit with my Y5 class. We are reading Kensuke's Kingdom by Michael Morpurgo (only about 1/4 of the way through so far, but I am goign to read them the whole book and we will base our work on what we have read so far), Oliver Twist by Dickens (topic is the Victorians, I am planning on reading all of this to the chn too as I have a short children's version). I will also be using a few extracts from the Harry Potter books. I would love to read them a whole HP book, but there isn't the time unfortunately. I don't, however, want to use too many extracts from loads of different books as I don't like the fact that in the literacy strategy, chn don't get a lot of opportunity to work on whole texts.

8. Hello, i know this is too late for you but if anyone else s reading this thread some good authors for very LA readers of this age group are Anthony Browne as the language is simple without being patronising and his books have fantastic ilustrations as well as some clear themes for children to pick out. I have also used Michael foreman as he has a huge range of books at all sorts of levels - (war game is a particular favorite of my year 5 boys but is a bit too wordy for LA). Michael Rosen writes a huge range of short stories, novels, picture books and poetry which could be appropriate too.
    hope that helps!!

9. HI, I know this thread is quite old now but I was wondering if you would share your planning for Oliver Twist? I am starting with a Victorian topic in Autumn and was going to do the street child but my head wants me to do that with my guided reading group and not sure she would want me teaching it in literacy as well. Would appreciate any help as I haven't taught Year 5 and 6 before!
    Thanks.
    x