1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Novelist's corner

Discussion in 'Book club' started by In_You_Go_Jones, Jan 3, 2011.

1. Dr CO Jones

Dr CO Jones New commenter

A mí también me gusta. El Capitano Mainwaring es un hombre con cojones.
    Y cómo decía el Señor de la Cebolla Grande, este Genio no tiene ningún afinidad con los 'Bow Locks'.

2. Mainwaring

Mainwaring Lead commenter

By the time Quasimodo and the shocked tourists had straggled down the tortuous spiral staircase to ground level, a crowd had gathered round the shattered body of the young man from Uxbridge and a puzzled gendarme was reaching for his notebook. ‘Can anybody identify this man?'
    [​IMG]

Gazing down at the pathetic corpse, Quasimodo murmured sadly ‘Non, monsieur l'agent...His face just doesn't ring a bell.'

[​IMG]

3. Ha Ha!
    very good.

4. Mainwaring has spent another sleepless night. Guilty conscience. 'Ralph Palladin does murder sleep... Mainwaring shall sleep no more.' Ralph Palladin has written a song about it.

Tossin' And Turnin' Mainwaring couldn't sleep at all last night
    Got to thinkin' of Elisabeth Schwarzkopf
    Things weren't right
    Well he was tossin' and turnin'
    Turnin' and tossin'
    a-tossin' and turnin' all night

He kicked the blankets on the floor
    Turned his pillow upside down
    He never never did before
    'cause he was tossin' and turnin'
    Turnin' and tossin'

He jumped out of bed
    Turned on the light
    Pulled down the shade
    Went to the kitchen for a bite
    Rolled up the shade
    Turned off the light
    He jumped back into bed
    It was the middle of the night

The clock downstairs was strikin' four
    Couldn't get Elisabeth off his mind
    He heard the milkman at the door
    'cause he was tossin' and turnin'
    Turnin' and tossin'

5. ??? ???? ??.

6. Yes of course you are Mainwaring. It's the way you tell 'em!

On the subject of delusional individuals Ralph Palladin has observed the following:
    Deluded individuals have reliably demonstrated attributional and probabilistic reasoning biases, manifesting as hasty decision making and an inclination to blame other people for negative experiences. Deluded people have also displayed attentional preference for threat-related material and a ''negative'' world view. In combination, these biases might reflect a general tendency for deluded individuals to ''jump to conclusions'' when evaluating others' intentions influenced by the perception of threat and persecution everywhere. This thesis would be consistent with reports of an inability of paranoid patients to correctly infer the intentions of others during ''theory of mind'' tasks and perhaps predict a total lack of mentalising ability.

7. 1. Königssee, Bavaria

8. And a new number one for my Top Ten Hit Parade:

"To Know HIm is to Love Him" sung by Annette Kleinbard of the Teddy Bears. A superb performance, pitch perfect, and a splendid backing by the boys. Phil Spector at his best.

9. moonpenny

moonpenny Occasional commenter

Newsflash:
    Morph from Vision on will be attending the meet (as long as he can get remodelled in time)
    By the way, boyz:
    As I have watched 1 and a half episodes of Ross "wellard" Kemp's " Gang wars", I now feel in a position to offer advice in this area - so if you wanna bump off a fellow poster - I is ya Main Moony.

10. Mainwaring

Who? Ah, your famous 'leider' singer? I see that you'll remember that one for a very long time.
    [​IMG]

11. Mainwaring:

As number of TES posters are aware, I'm already a (commercially) published writer.

Yes of course you are Mainwaring. It's the way you tell 'em!

12. Mainwaring

13. A fine-looking jet, Sir H, and very brave of you to whip out your Brownie even for an instant, even if the Curtain had come down or begun to disintegrate by then.....

14. Yes, the Ilyushin IL 62 is an object of considerable beauty.
    I never gave photographing her a second thought, but of course you are correct in that photography in and around Domodedovo International Airport is probably restricted (more so in 1985).

15. If Randy's oeuvre has been issued in book form, I'll eat my hat.

16. You'd best buy in a supply of ENOs Fruit Salts.

17. Fortunately, its one of these top hats.
    [​IMG]

18. Mainwaring

If it's been published I'll eat the book.

19. thebigonion

thebigonion New commenter

Now there's a process through which we should put the blighter! Translation obviously wasn't enough to transform that drivel enough to make it passable; transubstantiation is the only way to go.
    At least it can't be any more sh*t when it comes out than when it went in.
    In the meantime...
    Ages ago, Alex, Allen and Alva arrived at Antibes, and Alva allowing all, allowing anyone, against Alex's admonition, against Allen's angry assertion: another African amusement . . . anyhow, as all argued, an awesome African army assembled and arduously advanced against an African anthill, assiduously annihilating ant after ant, and afterward, Alex astonishingly accuses Albert as also accepting Africa's antipodal ant annexation.

20. Mainwaring

Alphabetical Africa by Walter Abish.
    Aptly enough, I've just been reading the rather surreal thread on Opinion in which 'Sir' Henry, the Lancashire baronet, attempts to deflect charges of racism by claiming to be of Afro-Caribbean origin.