1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Novelist's corner

Discussion in 'Book club' started by In_You_Go_Jones, Jan 3, 2011.

1. lapinrose

lapinrose Star commenter

I thought he was aspiring to write for The People's Friend!!

2. ilovesooty

ilovesooty Star commenter

Perhaps Gene should spend a little less time trolling and writing drivel and a little more time parenting.

3. Exactly.
    You quoted it but you don't have enough knowledge to apply the definition to your chosen novelists.
    Joyce is all about the new, not looking back, except in contempt. Brideshead Revisited celebrates the old aristocracy and mourns its passing.

4. Joyce may have been but the Dublin he describes is most definitely fin de siecle. You are very much out of your depth here. Please post no more as you are just showing yourself up.

5. LOL!

6. ilovesooty

ilovesooty Star commenter

Advice you'd do well to take yourself.

7. inky

inky Lead commenter

What a hoot!

8. Post no more. On another thread you made the absurd claim that the other stories in Dubliners were mentioned in
    . Of course they were not. Now you describle James Joyce as not being fin de siecle. IT'S THE SOCIETY IN THE NOVEL THAT SHOULD OR SHOULD NOT BE DESCRIBED AS FIN DE SIECLE. <u>NOT THE AUTHOR</u>.
    Please post no more. You are making yourself look ridiculous.
    As if a modernist work can not describe a fin de siecle society!!!
    Post no more.

9. Plagiarised but not understood from the Tate Gallery website.
    Not only plagiarised but dishonestly plagiarised. The quotation Gene has stolen in full is [my emphasis]:

<h4 style="float:left;">Fin de si&egrave;cle </h4>
    <table cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" style="clear:both;"><tr><td>French phrase meaning end of century. As historical term applies specifically to end of nineteenth century and even more specifically to decade of 1890s. Umbrella term embracing Symbolism, Decadence and all related phenomena (e.g. Art Nouveau) which reached a peak in that decade. Almost synonymous with terms the Eighteen-Nineties, the Mauve Decade, the Yellow Decade, the Naughty Nineties.
    Spirit exemplified in France by [/i][/b]Toulouse-Lautrec, and in Britain Beardsley and Conder. Real end came not in 1900 but with First World War 1914. (See also Edwardian.)

The second bit in italics is the bit Gene tried to pass off as his own. I expect he was surprised to see Peter Beardsley in there.
    Poor Gene: how to cheat and STILL lose.
    </td></tr></table>

10. <u>
    No it doesn't</u>. You have not got a clue about these matters have you?

11. If that is so then it makes two of you.
    Why did you plagiarise the Tate website, do so dishonestly anyway, and try to pass it off as your words?
    And why, come to think of it, did you tell lies about Geoffrey Robertson QC?

12. Only one, I think you'll find.
    I didn't copy something relating to Art Nouveau, distort it, vainly attempt to apply it to literature and pass it off as my own.
    Nor do my arguments stop at 'you haven't read it' or 'you're wrong'.
    Please explain why I am wrong, or show yourself up as a fool.

13. </u>You're contradicting your own arguments now.
    It appears you think that a description applied to a style of art can be applied to literature. You argue it does not in fact apply to style, it applies merely to the date the work was set in. The quote you've plagiarised tells you quite clearly that the fin de siecle period is the 1890s and I've told you that Bloomsday took place in 1904.

14. You said the other stories in Dubliners are mentioned in The Dead: wrong!
    You said fin de siecle refers to literary style: wrong!
    Okay?

15. Good heavens. And there I was thinking it was the full works. Did he ever write the complete thing? Must have been in several volumes. Where can I find a copy?

16. Oh dear, In You Go. You still haven't got the hang of explaining, have you?
    I said The Dead has echoes of the other stories in the book, which it does. I said Joyce is a very self-referential writer, which he is.
    I said YOU used a reference to fin de siecle style in art and applied it to literature, which you did.

Okay?

17. In any good bookshop.
    I take it you don't know there are two meanings of epitome. I hope this helps.
    http://encarta.msn.com/dictionary_1861608895/epitome.html <table cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td colspan="2"><table cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td colspan="2"><h1>epitome</h1></td></tr><tr><td colspan="2"></td></tr><tr><td class="wordWheelText"></td><td align="right">

WriteDictionaryPronObjectTag("166", "23", "http://images.encarta.msn-int.com/xrefmedia/sharemed/targets/audio/pron/a18/A1809500.mp3", "epitome");
    </td></tr></table></td></tr><tr><td></td><td><table cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td></td></tr><tr><td>e&middot;pit&middot;o&middot;me

noun </td></tr><tr><td></td></tr><tr><td class="ResultBodyBlack">Definition:</td></tr><tr><td> </td></tr><tr><td>1. typical example: a highly representative example of a type, class, or characteristic
    [​IMG]Isn't she just the epitome of elegance?

</td></tr><tr><td>2. summary of a written work: a brief summary of a piece of writing ( formal )
    </td></tr></table></td></tr></table>

18. Actually, I did know.
    Just a poor effort at humour. Shan't be tempted again.

19. lapinrose

lapinrose Star commenter

Gosh that would be a concert, The Dubliners and The Grateful Dead, wonder how they'd get on without Jerry Garcia?

20. There's no need to trouble yourself.
    In You Go is a one-man comedy club.