1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Novelist's corner

Discussion in 'Book club' started by In_You_Go_Jones, Jan 3, 2011.

1. Burndenpark

Burndenpark Star commenter

Yes, but he only said he had one of each.

The others are probably left over from the new Prometheus.

2. anteater

anteater New commenter

Well, I say that is very unsporting of you - you should give them back immediately.

3. and next time take the eye and ear of a good novelist.

4. Like all novelists I look forward to the reviews of my work. Just can't help projecting forward and imagining:
    THE TIMES
    In this remarkable writer, Inigo Jones, a new star has shot into the literary stratosphere.
    THE GUARDIAN
    Only James Joyce for originality and Evelyn Waugh for literary style can approach Mr Inigo Jones in modern fiction
    THE UXBRIDGE GAZETTE
    This novel does for Uxbridge what Ulysess did for fin de siecle Dublin.
    THE SUN
    Cor! cor! and cor! again.

5. Nelson wasn't missing an eye. He just had one that didn't work.

6. Burndenpark

I expect that neither of them work now?

7. ...like a fart after too many Brussels sprouts.
    Once they've approached, they run away shrieking.
    i.e. nothing whatsoever. Ulysses was set at the beginning of the twentieth century.
    What a literary stinker! Like a dose of Brussels sprouts.

8. And of course there will be interviews. This is what I imagine the DAILY MAIL might run:
    [/i][/b]
    [/i]
    It is a glorious morning in the summer half term.
    An unpretentious Nissan is parked in the driveway. **** is standing in the doorway. He greets me warmly and it’s straight through to the kitchen where he has been busy with the coffee grinder. The strong aroma of freshly ground Jamaican Blue Mountain coffee fills the air.
    **** is dressed casually in a plain grey T-shirt, faded chinos and flip-flop sandals. His is alone at home – his wife (also a teacher) is out shopping at the new Westfield Shopping Centre at Shepherds Bush and his sixteen year-old son is off on a soccer training course. “He should be at home revising for his AS levels,” mutters **** “but his ambition in life is to play for Brentford FC.”
    With his lithe build, supple movements and shaven head **** looks younger than his fifty-four years.
    [TO BE CONTINUED]

9. In the local psychiatrist's consulting room.

10. So are you sure you understand what fin de sciecle means? The novel expertly described fin de sciecle Dublin.

11. cuteinpuce

cuteinpuce Star commenter

Any chance of finishing the novel before July, IYGJ, when the longlist for the Booker Prize is announced? The panel this year is chaired by Dame Stella Rimington, so if you could insert a thread of espionage into the plot..

12. siecle ... SORRY

13. Bloomsday took place in 1904.
    Fin de siecle is French for end of the century, not the beginning of the new one.
    Next question, please.

14. It does not mean 'end of the century'. It means end of the period. This is the mistake I thought you were falling into!

15. inky

inky Lead commenter

16. Burndenpark

Oh dear- Poor Gene

And Selwyn hasn't responded yet either.

Keep trolling Gene, he's sure to reply sooner or later.

17. inky

inky Lead commenter

Whoops : novelist, though that is too kind a word.

18. lapinrose

lapinrose Star commenter

Looks good on a timetable that does or is it wimmen's stuff?

19. Oh dear, you don't understand French either. Siecle is the French word for century. It can refer to the end of a period and also the beginning of the next one but Ulysses can't possibly be described as fin de siecle except by anyone who doesn't know what the term means. Joyce is as far from fin de siecle as its possible to be. The work is modernist, which is the antithesis of fin de siecle. The other novelist you aspire to be compared with, Evelyn Waugh, wrote the epitome of a fin de siecle novel in Brideshead Revisited.
    I hope that helps.

20. Fin de siècle
    Fin de siècle however expresses apocalyptic sense of end of a phase of civilisation. Spirit exemplified in France by Toulouse-Lautrec, and in Britain Beardsley and Conder. Real end came not in 1900 but with First World War 1914.