1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Novel to teach alongside Stoppard's 'Arcadia'?

Discussion in 'English' started by rkw9, Aug 4, 2016.

1. rkw9

rkw9 New commenter

I really fancy teaching the play Arcadia by Tom Stoppard to my year 12s in September. I am looking for suggestions about which novel (post 2000) would work well thematically with it. I'm really struggling.

2. Vince_Ulam

Vince_Ulam Star commenter

If something must be taught alongside the excellent Arcadia then I recommend a contrast: Lord Malquist & Mr Moon also by Stoppard, his only novel.

[​IMG]

The style is very different but there are similar features, which would allow students to whet their analysis.

3. Oenonejones

Oenonejones New commenter

You could try 'Harvest' by Jim Crace if you want to compare and contrast ideas around English pastoral.

4. armandine2

armandine2 Established commenter

The play I saw was dull (and it was sometime ago) - I did pick out the pastoral (backdrop) and partnership (unequal) and questing (vaguely) - these themes I see in a 1960s short novel called Figures in a Landscape - not sure how you'd combine those two - or how exactly you 'teach' a play. Figures in a landscape was adapted for screen.