1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Novel for bottom set Year 7

Discussion in 'English' started by emmab13, Jun 19, 2015.

1. emmab13

emmab13 New commenter

Hi everyone,

has anyone got any suggestions of a novel that I could teach with bottom set year 7 that they won't have done at primary school?

Thanks in advance for suggestions

2. emilybronte

emilybronte New commenter

The Pearson Heroes range is very good. Something by David Walliams?

3. roamingteacher

roamingteacher Established commenter Forum guide

I just did the Wizard of Oz with a class having given them various options to choose from. Us oldies know it well, but they'd never heard of it and when we finished, they rated the film 8 out of 10 (!) and said the book was better (again - !!!) Wouldn't have been my choice at all, but they loved it. They were all very excited to find out it's the first of a series and many are reading more over the summer break.

As it's out of copyright, it's free to print or distribute digital copies too. Lots of versions of it too in case you have some that really couldn't manage the original text in its entirety.

4. gruoch

gruoch Established commenter

I've always got on well with 'Two Weeks With The Queen' and Teachit has an excellent SoL to go with it - easily adaptable for low ability sets.

5. Underachiever

Underachiever New commenter

Aquila by Andrew Norris

6. kiff1972

kiff1972 New commenter

We start with 'Private Peaceful' and then follow it up with 'The Breadwinner' by Deborah Ellis - it's part of a trilogy, so our Year 7s carry on reading the other books in their spare time too.

7. armandine2

armandine2 Established commenter

8. gingerella

gingerella New commenter

Hugo works well with our weaker Y7, they find the illustrations fascinating and love spotting the similarities in the fabulous film version. Coralline is also successful as of course is Wonder. Wizard of Oz is a great idea though, must look into a set.

9. sweetie1

sweetie1 New commenter

I'd second Coraline. The film is good to use after you've taught it as students of all abilities have an opinion about whether it has captured the novel. Never taught Wonder, but I have read it - another potentially engaging novel in my opinion.

10. pianopete

pianopete Occasional commenter

We have had some success this year with Bug Muldoon and the Garden Of Fear - teachers and students alike have really enjoyed it. One of the Oxford Rollercoasters so there is a reading guide and SoW available (always helps me to make a choice!).

We also purchased Wheels by Cathy MacPhail but it hasn't been taught yet, although was a popular choice at my old school hence why I stole the idea! It's a Heinemann New Windmill so again SoW available and nice hardback copies!

11. roamingteacher

@gingerella - I didn't have time for it this round, but as it's available for free online and not heavy on printing, I'd be interested in getting them to illustrate it and create the blurb and cover as an ongoing project through reading. It would support their understanding, especially if they were struggling readers. Guess I won't have the chance to do this for a while, but just a thought.

12. emmab13

emmab13 New commenter

thanks a lot for all of your suggestions guys, ill have a look into them

13. K.Wellborne

K.Wellborne New commenter

Cirque Du Freak- the audio book version is fab too.

14. gingerella

gingerella New commenter

Roaming, brilliant ideas - just off to download!

15. roamingteacher

Let me know how it goes :)