1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Notts Trent Business Ed interview

Discussion in 'Business studies' started by dantheram, Jan 13, 2011.

1. Hi all,

I have my PGCE interview at Notts Trent on Wednesday and have been asked to create a 5min presentation on how i would deliever the 'enthralling' topic of the cash flow forecast to GCSE students.

Also, i have been told there is a group interview. This is a technique i am not familiar with so would love a little input here.

With regards to the presentation i believe this topic would benefit from an approach which makes the subject engaging for the pupil by using real life examples which they could relate to, can anyone help me build on this starting point?

Many thanks,

Dan

2. Hi all,

I have my PGCE interview at Notts Trent on Wednesday and have been asked to create a 5min presentation on how i would deliever the 'enthralling' topic of the cash flow forecast to GCSE students.

Also, i have been told there is a group interview. This is a technique i am not familiar with so would love a little input here.

With regards to the presentation i believe this topic would benefit from an approach which makes the subject engaging for the pupil by using real life examples which they could relate to, can anyone help me build on this starting point?

Many thanks,

Dan

3. Hi Dan,

I'm now a couple of years into teaching, so PGCE interviews are still there at the back of my mind.

First, relax; appearing calm, cool and collected is a good place to start. The group interview is not, in my opinion, too bad. It's one of those situations where you need to make yourself stand out enough without trying to dominate the conversation, not that easy to do all the time though. Otherwise, all the same interview skills are needed; body language, eye contact, confidence, drawing the positives out of your experiences etc.

As for the topic, it's a lovely one to use practical examples on. Why not spend a little bit of time making a realistic (but still quite basic) cash flow forecast, then think of ways you could encourage the students to get 'hands on' with it. I'd recommend something like a fill in the gaps task so they work with you through it. Then again you say its a presentation about HOW you'd teach it, so that might be a little overkill.

Best of luck,

Nick

4. Hello,
    I did exactly the same interview at Trent a few years ago! Remember it like it was yesterday. There were 3 of us for the group session and basically we all sat round a table, got asked the same questions and took it in turns to answer. We had a girl on ours who talked forever and by the time it was my turn she'd said everything there was to say on the topic! Still, the positive thing was she didn't get a place!
    The interviewers are lovely - try and relax - they are looking for people who they instinctively know are right for the job - be yourself.
    As far as cash flow goes the other two had P/point presentations and I stood up and did mine on an OHP and flip chart, as in the letter that was what they'd said was available!! I laid out a lesson I would do and went through it step by step, explaining some of the tasks. There are lots of resources on cash flow on here and other websites. Don't over-complicate it.

Best of luck!

5. Thanks for the input, guys.
    The interview/presentation was exactly as you described and was really quite enjoyable as opposed to being stressful.
    However, due to the governemnt holding back on announcing qutoas for the coming year, my application is 'stopped', which is quite frustrating. So i'm playing the waiting game at the moment.

Dan

6. I'm in, thanks again guys