1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Notre Dame is on fire !

Discussion in 'Personal' started by peakster, Apr 15, 2019.

1. nizebaby

nizebaby Star commenter

My dad, an organist, used to visit paris at least twice a year to hear the great french organists playing the great parisian organs. I grew up hearing organ music and have always loved it. It's strange but wonderful that the most thrilling and powerful instrument ever produced predates electronic technology.

2. peakster

peakster Star commenter

My Dad worked for Deep Purple - Jon Lord had a massive Hammond Organ that was a nightmare to take from venue to venue.

Made a great sound though.

peter12171 likes this.
  3. nizebaby

nizebaby Star commenter

Not really strange, I suppose. But wonderful all the same.

4. nizebaby

nizebaby Star commenter

A few years ago, nizeman and I landed up in lubeck and visited the church where [unknown to us] Buxtehude had been the organist. We also didn't know that Bach made a 400km journey to visit him there.

The great thing was that the resident organist was practising when we arrived. What a treat!

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  5. border_walker

border_walker Established commenter

I suspect solutions are known, but disliked.

6. nomad

nomad Star commenter

I love a couple of miles from Don Airey. He used to be a regular at a local pub and on music nights could be persuaded to play the pub's piano.

7. peakster

peakster Star commenter

I saw Don Airey when he was with Rainbow in the late 70s

8. fraisier

fraisier Occasional commenter

Another €200 million pledged, this time from the Bettencourt family (L’Oréal).

When Liliane Bettencourt died 2 years ago at 94 (she had dementia and would routinely write cheques for €100 million without realising what she was doing, or give away millions to near strangers; a Parisian photographer called François-Marie Banier befriended her, she gave him a cool £1.2 billion as a token of her friendship… Liliane Bettencourt, the French heiress to the L’Oréal cosmetics fortune and a family legacy of fascist associations, whose final years were vexed by allegations that she had fallen under the sway of a younger man and given him $1.4 billion), her only daughter, Françoise Bettencourt Meyers, inherited the whole lot.

She is a devout Christian, lives as a social recluse with her husband and spends her time writing books on religion;she occasionally plays the piano for her servants or a few friends we are told. That's about it. I suppose that beats running through wheat fields on the excitement scale. She lives in a gated community in Neuilly (an uber-posh suburb of Paris) and has no other known hobby than religion. Francoise Bettencourt Meyers, the richest woman in the world, is worth $53.5 billion, according to Bloomberg.

These people make me sick. They do everything they can to evade the taxman but turn do-gooders when they feel they can buy themselves a conscience "on the cheap". Most of these sums will be... "défiscalisées" (tax-free) once a new law will take effect - the Aillagon law, which will probably be voted in soon, so tax-payers in effect will bear the brunt of it...

https://twitter.com/AnandWrites/status/1118176071445303296

Anand Giridharadas‏Verified account@AnandWrites
    Anand Giridharadas Retweeted J-J. Aillagon

There it is. An associate of the Pinaults has asked for a 90 percent tax deduction on gifts to the Notre Dame repair. Which could mean the public footing much of the bill, while “philanthropists” get credit.

J-J. Aillagon
    @aillagon
    J’invite le parlement à voter en urgence une disposition spéciale ouvrant une réduction d’impôt de 90% sur les dons qui seront faits en faveur du grand chantier de restauration de Notre-Dame @gouvernementFR @AssembleeNat @senat @MinistereCC @Elysee #patrimoine | 2/2
    8:35 am - 16 Apr 2019

Une grande partie de ces dons, cependant, seront, in fine, à la charge de l’Etat. Le régime fiscal des dons à certains organismes d’Etat ou fondations et associations d’utilité publique ou d’intérêt général bénéficient en effet d’un régime fiscal très favorable.

-Pour les personnes physiques, le régime prévoit ainsi une réduction de l’impôt sur le revenu (IR), à hauteur de 66% du montant du don et dans la limite de 20% du revenu imposable. Un don de 1000 euros donnera ainsi droit à une réduction de 660 euros de l’impôt sur le revenu dû par le donateur. Si le contribuable doit moins de 660 euros d’impôt cette année-là, il pourra utiliser ce crédit pendant 5 ans pour réduire ou annuler son impôt, jusqu’à épuisement du montant.

9. fraisier

10. fraisier

11. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Macron reckons they can re-build it in 5 years! Unlikely I would have thought.

border_walker likes this.
  12. fraisier

Soz, that should of course read tax-deductible (défiscalisées in the sense of "déductible d'impôts") in this particular case and not tax-free.

13. fraisier

Needless to say, the experts (in the prog below) are very dubious about this Macron's 5-year time-frame to say the least...

https://www.tf1.fr/tmc/quotidien-av...econstruire-5-ans-promet-emmanuel-macron.html

In fact, they lay into Macron for his cretinous comment.

In substance, one of them (the second to speak, J-F Colosimo) says that yes, after all you can probably rebuild it in 5 years including the analysis, the programme, the plans etc. even in less time if you want... but it all depends on footling factors such as the quality of the work you want to obtain, the quality of the labour used, the quality of the material sourced, the techniques favoured etc. Obviously... You're dealing with delicate heritage work here, it's not exactly like rebuilding a concert hall or a tower block after an earthquake or something.

The real experts are talking of 10 to 15 years while, of course, insisting on the fact that before talking of a time-frame, one would need to ascertain exactly the magnitude of the damages caused, at the very least.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  14. peter12171

peter12171 Star commenter

Ah, but Brexit won’t have been delivered by then, so he’ll be able to fund it from the UK’s financial contributions to the EU. ;):D

15. peter12171

peter12171 Star commenter

florian gassmann and nomad like this.
  16. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

Mind you; down to the bones and it still looks wonderful. I have to admit to listening to a mass the last time I was there.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  17. josienig

josienig Lead commenter

:eek: :)

racroesus likes this.
  18. nizebaby

nizebaby Star commenter

Is that some weird sectarian thing?

Bach wrote a mass, lutheran though he was.

19. Nellyfuf2

Nellyfuf2 Occasional commenter

Capitals for Mass please.

monicabilongame likes this.
  20. Nellyfuf2

Nellyfuf2 Occasional commenter

"Mind you; down to the bones and it still looks wonderful. I have to admit to listening to a mass the last time I was there." said Racroseus.
    Oh, that Liturgy that reaches through the Cosmos? Eternal and infinite union of the song of the universe?