1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Notre Dame is on fire !

Discussion in 'Personal' started by peakster, Apr 15, 2019.

1. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

We had that when A Night to Remember was screened at my school film club about 1966. We all laughed as the instruments the orchestra had been using floated by. The teacher pointed out that such laughter is frequently a response in moments of heightened emotional reaction.
    It is a shocking even; not as bad as 7/11 when thousands died but it was still an emotional event for some. It was for me. It was almost 40 years between visits for me and the second one was with Maleficent and two of my children. I had doubts before then of getting back to Paris and I plan to make it for my 70th Birthday next year.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2019
  2. fraisier

fraisier Established commenter

Am I right in thinking (from reading this Canadian article in French & English) that there are only 2 ensemble organs, the Gallery organ (the main one) and the Chancel organ? (isn't the Chancel organ also called the Choir organ, photo below?).

[​IMG]

3. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

I live in a place where some local counsellors and other dignities used such explanations to explain the 2004 tsunami. Somebody will say it in connection with 666 and the Anti-Christ.

4. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

I've been thinking that we won't see a rebuild but an evolution of a new Cathedral.

5. fraisier

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  6. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

I wonder if a re-imagined Notre Dame will have an equivalent to the Louvre Pyramid.

7. fraisier

A brief inventory of what's been destroyed or damaged:

Orgue, rosace, reliques : ce qui a été sauvé, ce qui a été endommagé, ce qui a été détruit à Notre-Dame

(no mention of the Chancel organ though, yet, apart from this sentence: "Même incertitude pour le mur qui entourait le Choeur et représentait de nombreuses scènes de la vie de Jésus." i.e the choir area hasn't been closely inspected yet so they're not sure about the state of that area and that of the wood carvings - just below the Chancel organ -, those with the scenes of Jesus' life as per the photo in #82)

Last edited: Apr 16, 2019
  8. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Or they could just leave it as it is like Coventry and build a new one from scratch if they really need another cathedral.

racroesus likes this.
  9. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

This is what it looked like in November at Armistice. So sad smaller ND (2).jpg

artboyusa and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  10. fraisier

To use an organ analogy, I think they'll pull out all the stops to rebuild à l'identique (identically - as Rouen Old Town was after the war - not that you'd be able to tell -, as was most of Dresden too I believe, as was Nantes cathedral in 1972 etc. - which burned down during restoration work carried out in the roof voids, soldiering work I believe, i.e possibly what happened yesterday, but uncannily yesterday when the fire broke out, just before 6pm French time, there appears to have been no restoration workers present. However, an expert was saying that it's a tinder box and a tiny flame can linger in there undetected for hours and hours, which is what could have happened).

racroesus likes this.
  11. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

I was thinking that the Pompidou Centre and the Pyramid, coming later, might point to a different approach. You French seem to enjoy a grand statement on occasion. It will take time to plan the future so the emotions of today will have had time to settle.

12. peter12171

peter12171 Star commenter

As an organist I have seen posts from other organists on Facebook that say that the chancel organ has been destroyed, but the Grand Orgue has (as far as can be ascertained so far) escaped relatively unscathed. Many organists ar changing their voluntaries this coming Sunday to be something French (especially Vierne as he was organist at Notre Dame).

13. fraisier

@racroesus. French presidents like to make their mark shall we say...

(since you mention it, the creation of the fab' Pompidou Centre - which I saw being built as I grew up 200 yards from it - was actually decided in 1968-69 on the insistence of Prime Minister Georges Pompidou - the Anglophile who let you lot into the EU... :eek: - and not President De Gaulle who didn't want it - the building was quite rad' for the times it has to be said, it was a controversial project - but his Prime Minister, Pompidou, really insisted and won, the green light was given in 1969 under De Gaulle and the construction started in 1972 under Pompidou as president; the Le Louvre pyramid was the works of Mitterrand of course, it was part of a much wider corpus of work on Le Louvre and more widely on cultural buildings in Paris, it was officially known as "Les Grands Projets de François Mitterrand"; Giscard D'Estaing commissioned the Musée D'Orsay and the great La Villette Park, a science park etc. Jacques Chirac too didn't want to be undone of course so he commissioned the great Musée du quai Branly – Jacques Chirac; then the crisis arrived under Sarkozy and French presidents calmed down a bit, Hollande too. It's coincided too with more "decentralisation", so a far less Paris-centric approach, more museums, grand buildings and the likes were built in the provinces from the 2000s, such as the great Mucem in Marseille or the Wine City in Bordeaux).

racroesus likes this.
  14. peakster

peakster Star commenter

15. peakster

peakster Star commenter

There's a short video on the BBC new site which shows some interior and exterior views.

The area around the main alter is pretty much gone.

16. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

The Rose window appears to have made it... which is something...

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  17. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Lots of other windows didn't - totally irreplaceable.

18. peter12171

peter12171 Star commenter

One post about the Grand Orgue (I don’t think the translation is entirely accurate, but the overall message is clear):

Good morning to all
    I am here the voice-Holder of Eric Brottier, organ technician for the organ, with whom I have the pleasure of working.
    The first observations on the instrument of Notre-Dame, including inside, show that the organ has obviously (I insist on the term) not really suffered from the fire. It has been preserved water flows thanks to the cover slab between the towers and did not suffer from the heat (the pipes are structurally preserved).
    This reassuring information will have to be supported by a thorough observation that has not yet been able to be realized.

florian gassmann likes this.
  19. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

Could be, but Notre Dame is often quoted as having three organs. However, like many cathedrals, one may be a small, moveable instrument, used mainly for Baroque continuo parts.

20. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

I remember one suggestion that karmic forces had gathered all the people whose previous had earned them an early unpleasant death into that one place to deliver their just desserts.
    Comforting.

racroesus likes this.