1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Notification of maternity leave-what to include in letter

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by b15b2y, Dec 5, 2016.

1. b15b2y

b15b2y New commenter

Hi all
    I have hunted the internet and am finding conflicting information.
    I need to notify my employer of my maternity leave, and want to check I have all the right info, but also do not include anything that I don't have to.
    Conversations in forums have stated you don't need to discuss your date of return, and I really feel at the moment that I'm not able to make that decision-obviously if I need to include it though I will.
    I am just after a simple breakdown of you need this, that and the other.
    I also looked for template on here but seem to be going round in circles. I am currently 24 weeks so need to get this notification letter in in the next few days. Any help would be incredibly appreciated,
    Thanks.

2. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

Do you need to give a return date at all? Depending on your circumstances, there will be a latest date you can return, but you can give 21 days notice to return earlier. According to GOV.UK, you just need to give the date you want to start matrnity leave and the date the baby is due. Burgundy book says "Notify the employer 2 in writing as soon as practicable but not later than 14 weeks (unless there is good cause) before the expected week of childbirth (EWC) that she wishes to be absent for maternity." No mention of return date. However, if you are unsure, why not speak to HR?

3. frustum

frustum Star commenter

Due date, date you want to begin maternity leave, enclose your MAT B1 form. I think that's it. You might want to say "I have not yet made any decisions about when I will return to work" just because otherwise they will probably ask you. You might even want to forestall the "when will you know" question, eg "We will not be making a decision until after the birth." The default assumption is that you will take 52 weeks.

Piranha likes this.