1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Notice

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by wookster, Apr 4, 2019.

1. wookster

wookster New commenter

Is it possible to give the seven days notice over Easter so I don't have to go back after Easter or do the seven days have to be worked. Only asking as I'm hanging by a thread in a very challenging class and have the opportunity coming up to work for another agency full time after Easter for a paid to scale rate in a nicer school and class I've been too before. I'm in a dilemma here!

pepper5 likes this.
  2. wookster

wookster New commenter

* especially as I've told current school I'll stay until July.

pepper5 likes this.
  3. Jesmond12

Jesmond12 Star commenter

Just leave, you are under no obligation to stay anywhere. Or phone in sick.

agathamorse likes this.
  4. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

You need to look at the terms of your contract with the agency but I would give them 7 days notice ASAP as it is the school's problem to find someone else and you are not returning after the Easter Break. If they sorted out the behaviour they would not have the dilemma. Who could blame you if you are holding on by a thread. They would have zero hesitation in getting rid of you if that suited them.

Glad to know you have work lined up at a better school after Easter.

5. Deirds

Deirds Senior commenter

A school I was hanging on to by a bread gave me zero notice effectively,. It was a couple of days but days I did not work...

Just leave.

6. pwtin

pwtin Senior commenter

Precisely Deirds, has never happened to me but I know if school were not happy you would get a call from the agency saying you are not needed the following day. Do what is right for you and do not feel guilty.

7. supply287

supply287 New commenter

Agency works through Easter, I believe; so 7 days notice during Easter should be fine.

les25paul, agathamorse and pepper5 like this.
  8. JohnJCazorla

JohnJCazorla Star commenter

I did this precise thing an earlier Easter, after the kids had gone out on the Friday before I announced to my department (well actually the few bodies that were still in the Maths Office) that I wasn't coming back. The agency found out about this about 5 mins later and before I rang them but didn't try and quote the 1 week notice at me. There were 2 weeks holiday ahead of us or maybe she didn't know the contract properly. I can't see how anything could be done by the agency anyway and any sulking was soon over-ridden by the desire to get me earning them commission elsewhere.

FrauRussell, agathamorse and pepper5 like this.
  9. JohnJCazorla

JohnJCazorla Star commenter

To contradict myself, if this agency gets in a strop with you (or even the school) could that aversely affect future employment? This advice is meaningless if you've already got another job lined up because memories probably won't last much over Easter break but if you are in a particularly fraught area (geographical or educational) for supply you might have found you've burnt a bridge. I can't see that myself though.

pepper5 likes this.
  10. wookster

wookster New commenter

Thanks yes I thought 7 days would work over Easter however the other position has fallen through! So for the moment am glad I didn't give notice as at least it is work for the time being!

agathamorse likes this.
  11. Deirds

Deirds Senior commenter

Sorry to hear your job fell through,Wooster..

agathamorse likes this.