1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Notice wording

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by njs1999, Nov 22, 2019.

1. njs1999

njs1999 New commenter

Hi

Please can someone advise on the best way to word a resignation letter, whereby the official notice is Easter but the school will allow me to leave earlier should they find a replacement, as this is what they have suggested.

Thanks

2. sooooexcited

sooooexcited Occasional commenter

Dear X
    Further to our conversation on DATE, I am writing to confirm that my last date of employment will be (last day of Easter holidays), however, I appreciate you agreeing to release me earlier, should a suitable replacement be found earlier.

Depending on the reasons for leaving, it's good manners to then thank the head for the opportunities you have been given.

Yours faithfully,

3. njs1999

njs1999 New commenter

Thanks for the reply. I was going to write something thanking them for the opportunity and wishing them well.

Thanks again

sooooexcited likes this.
  4. mothorchid

mothorchid Star commenter

You can certainly add that if you wish. Nothing wrong with a little emollient in the letter.

grumpydogwoman likes this.
  5. lovejoy_antiques

lovejoy_antiques Occasional commenter

Add a suitable emoji at the end ;)

6. FollyFairy

FollyFairy Occasional commenter

This is precisely why my recent resignation letter was just 2 lines long!!

7. Shedman

Shedman Star commenter

What sooooexcited said in post #2. Keep it short and snappy and to the point.

8. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

Definitely say something positive if the school is trying to do you a favour. By the way, be careful about the leaving date if you are not going to another school. The official date, according to the Burgundy Book, is 30 April, not Easter. What you don't want is the school agreeing for you to leave on the last day of next term. If you are going to stay until then, you want it to be the last day of the holiday.

9. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

30th April. Be quite clear. NOT end of Easter term.

agathamorse likes this.
  10. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

Last day of the Easter holidays (giving the actual date) would be fine if the Op doesn't want to stay until 30 April. But, as you say, last day of term could go wrong. According to the Burgundy Book, it is 30 April, but best to avoid any doubt.

agathamorse likes this.
  11. MrMedia

MrMedia Star commenter

Burgundy book stuff. The Easter date is the hardest of resignation dates. Everyone ties themselves up in knots. Specify the date. And then say you are prepared to mutually agree to reduce the notice required should the school find this helpful.

agathamorse likes this.
  12. diddydave

diddydave Established commenter

Be careful as they may take it that they can let you go just a 'little' bit early...i.e. not pay you for the holidays without having found a replacement for you before then...or even pay a supply teacher to cover the last day of the term to save them paying you over the Easter holidays.

13. njs1999

njs1999 New commenter

Thanks all for your advice.

They've kindly agreed to let me leave at Christmas, as (unfortunately) the role was starting to affect my mental health.

Teeacher12345 likes this.
  14. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

Good. Following the discussion about Easter, you do need to check that this actually means 31 December, not the end of the school term.

FollyFairy likes this.
  15. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter