1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Notice required on maternity cover?

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by MrsFBrown, Feb 22, 2012.

1. Hi,
    I'm on a maternity cover and I want to leave. I'm employed directly by the school. I've never received a proper contract giving me a required notice period.
    The HR department at the school told me I have to give the same notice period as a regular teacher but that they just have to tell me when the permanent post-holder intends to come back (with no stated amount of time they need to tell me within). My HOD says the HR dept told her that in fact I only have to give one week's notice.
    I have done a maternity cover before and in that school I had a contract stating that there was a 1 month notice period on both side.
    Can anyone tell me what the actual notice period on a maternity contract is when you don't have a contract stating what exactly the notice period is?
    Many thanks X

2. AdmiralNelson

AdmiralNelson New commenter

I would ask my union - but, it would seem to me - that without a contract you don't have to give any notice at all and 1 week is certainly fine. It may depend how much you want to leave on good terms with the school...(reference etc.)

3. DaisysLot

DaisysLot Senior commenter

Why not phone and speak to the HR people yourself? These things vary from LEA to LEA....

4. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

I second that! Ring HR at the LA. That's what I did in 2001 when I wanted out of a fixed term contract (sickness cover) and had not received a contract. They told me I needed to give on calendar month's notice, so 3 days before the end of term in July, I cited the month of August as my notice period.