1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Notice Query

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by Marc1978, Nov 14, 2011.

1. I was hoping someone can give me a definitive answer about resignation periods. I am a teacher with no middle management or senior responsibility on a full time and permanent contract. Can I leave mid term - i.e. February? Could I hypothetically hand in my notice before Christmas and leave for the start of Term 4? I've read the Burgundy book and it states I can give 2 months notice but then also lists dates of notice periods. It's all very confusing and I've been told that leaving mid term is not possible.

2. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

You can only leave mid-term if your head agrees to a specific request - but s/he is under no obligation to do so and, indeed, many heads would simply refuse.
    Schools all operate with the same notice and resignation dates, so if you're hoping to move to another school, they wouldn't expect you to start earlier than the beginning of a term.

3. FollyFairy

FollyFairy Occasional commenter

31 October for their employment to end on 31 December

28 February for their employment to end on 30 April (see additional advice on spring resignations)

31 May for their employment to end on 31 August.

http://www.atl.org.uk/help-and-advice/other-issues/notice-periods.asp