1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Notice periods

Discussion in 'Teaching assistants' started by Saland45, Jun 17, 2015.

1. Saland45

Saland45 New commenter

Hi Just a quick question my contract requires one months notice so does that mean I can hand my notice in during August? I have checked my contract and it makes no reference to term time notice periods and I have out of consideration told my boss that I will not be returning in September so they have ample time to find a replacement but I have not formally written it out yet!!! I just want to get it right!!! I might ring personnel later myself but I wondered if anyone knew or is a similar position....

2. We had someone ask a similar question where I work. I would say if you are not returning in September then you hand your notice in at the beginning of August. But checking with personnel would probably be the best idea as there might be a difference where you work but you want paying as long as possible so as late as you can is ideal!

3. Saland45

Saland45 New commenter

Thanks I rang them and it is just one months notice regardless of whether it is term time or not ....I have pre warned the school so I can hand it in on the last day and have my last date of employment as the 31st August!!! ..... but technically you can hand it in in August but obviously there wld be no one there!!!!!

4. snugglepot

snugglepot Occasional commenter

It will be an unusual school if there isn't staff in the week before school opens. The secretarial staff will be in sometime before the holiday ends so you could chose the date and post it. We are given set weeks when we can go in so ask unless you don't want to go in.