1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Notice periods help please

Discussion in 'Personal' started by lookingfornemo, Jun 21, 2011.

1. I am in full time employment, but 2 weeks ago a rare job came up in a place I really want to work in. It is nearer my parents and in laws and would solve a lot of problems as they all begin ro require more and more attention. I applied and heard today that I have an interview next week. The weird thing is that there was no mention of a start date anywhere. The ad was very bland and they only wanted a form filled in, not even a covering letter. If I get the job and they tell me it is Sept start I will be gutted! If I were to hand in my notice this term, am I allowed to leave my current school at October half term or is that at the discretion of the head teacher? Any ideas?

2. I am in full time employment, but 2 weeks ago a rare job came up in a place I really want to work in. It is nearer my parents and in laws and would solve a lot of problems as they all begin ro require more and more attention. I applied and heard today that I have an interview next week. The weird thing is that there was no mention of a start date anywhere. The ad was very bland and they only wanted a form filled in, not even a covering letter. If I get the job and they tell me it is Sept start I will be gutted! If I were to hand in my notice this term, am I allowed to leave my current school at October half term or is that at the discretion of the head teacher? Any ideas?

3. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

Talk to the head. Ask if they would release you, should you be successful.

My head (who isn't known for being especially accommodating) said she'd release me from my contract in such circumstances.

Otherwise, talk to the people on the other end - if they want you, they'll wait for you. We had 2 teachers starting at Christmas this year because they were worth waiting for.

4. Thank you! I'm not looking forward to the conversation this end. I have a feeling he will make it as difficult as possible!

5. I think you can leave at October half term but my advice would be to read your contract.

6. Crossed posts, notice periods are in your contract, he can't it make it difficult if you stick to what that says.

7. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

As I've said before in this forum I recently completed supply covers for two teachers who'd handed in their notice and been completely signed off the LEA payroll within days at the Head's discretion. It can happen.